Chain, rearcassette and front chainring compability question

Dawwe

Dirt Disciple
My bike is from 1995 (likely it came with XTR from factory) but "upgraded" with carbon-rims, hydraulic brakes and newer (XT M750) shifters/derailleurs. Crank is CNC milled one probably "Cyclewerx" or "Cyclone" I have been told, some were etched with their brand/name others not, mine has no etchings but are "as new". Any way cranks are 5 arms with square-drive. Chainrings Im not sure what they are, middle one is marked "Shimano IG K-32", smallest "Shimano SG J-22" and the biggest one has only "J-42" so an SG I guess? Rear cassette is marked "Shimano Hyper Glide" 9-speed. My chain is a KMC X9SL Ti-N 9-speed. A real mess I guess (I bought the bike this way). I have found a XTR crank with chainrings FC-M900 marked with "Shimano SG". I have bought some XTR components (RD-M953 and FD-M953) to replace the XT ones.

Questions are: 1: As my kit is right now is everything compatible (chain, chaninrings and cassette)?
2: Where can I find new compatible front chainrings to my 5-arm CNC cranks (Im aware BCD, Im thinking chain-wise)?
3: If Im to buy both new 9-speed cassette and front chainrings compatible with my XTR derailleurs then what is recommended (I want to buy at least XT)?

If any one has well maintained suitable parts for sale then...Im not planing to change the BB but If its more or less a must then I will do so....

Attachments

• IMG_2944[1].JPG
    IMG_2944[1].JPG
    767.1 KB · Views: 9
  • KMC.jpeg
    KMC.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Crank.jpg
    Crank.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 9
You need 94bcd (compact) rings.

Everything you have listed should work together as it's all 9 speed.

If you want decent kit, xt or xtr cassette, SRAM equivalents would be pg980 or pg990 level.

Chain rings I'd recommend Middleburn as they seem to last, though many alternatives out there.

I might have NOS Middleburn rings and SRAM cassettes somewhere if you decide to change things, though if it works, I'd use what you have until it wears out, maybe replace your outer ring for aesthetics.

Thanx! I want to keep as many parts as possible Shimano. It does work and parts look decent, but Im a bit of someone that likes to do things "100%" or not at all. So I have completely disassembled the bike (expect the BB and I also did not remove the fork. The fork "bearings" are new Ritchey ones and the BB is also new). Next step is polishing the frame (ballburnished alu), new stickers, fitting new wires and upgraded XTR 4-piston hydraulic brakes, Panaracer Dart/Smoke tires. And the I will post a pic :D

Latest posts

Back