If you want to try an Audax for the first time, look here.

bugloss

Retrobike Rider
This is a 200km Audax which goes across Salisbury plain using the old drove roads and visits the old town of Imber. It looks like a great ride with about 50km's of track and the rest roads.

I'm going to break out the '58 Claud for this one, so if anyone wants to join in for an unusual day out see:

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-290/

Starts near Uffington, by Swindon on the 31 August.

You don't get many chances to ride on truly traffic free roads in the UK and here's one.

And if you don't want to ride wearing a helmet, you don't have too. So this should appeal to both camps.

Re:

I'll add some photos to whet the appetite ( borrowed from here https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=82212.0 )

Imber MOD training ground.

All photos © P Hurt.

It's an easy days riding, at a little over 100 miles with plenty of cake stops, on roads that hardly ever get opened. Plus who doesn't want to go and see Imber, the village stolen by the MOD in WW2, "Well give it back when our friends have finished playing with it, honest"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imber

Attachments

• DSCN0833_zps6075a1ca.jpg
    DSCN0833_zps6075a1ca.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 802
  • DSCN0836_zps02b4f706.jpg
    DSCN0836_zps02b4f706.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 802
  • DSCN0853_zps080f2d1f.jpg
    DSCN0853_zps080f2d1f.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 802
  • DSCN0859_zpsa7b937a6.jpg
    DSCN0859_zpsa7b937a6.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 802
  • DSCN0887_zps2a717296.jpg
    DSCN0887_zps2a717296.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 802
Looks like a great day out, and the roads look better than our motorways!

Richard

What a great day out! Too far for me to the start (for this year at least) but thanks for the link to the Aukweb site. I wasn't aware of that.

HW

Hillwalker":sbl0z9m6 said:
What a great day out! Too far for me to the start (for this year at least) but thanks for the link to the Aukweb site. I wasn't aware of that.

HW

You're welcome. It's thoroughly recommended, but avoid X rated events for the first few times, as there's no support whatsoever. As with all audaxes, you're pretty much on your own, so a bike in good mechanical condition is essential and if you enter prepared to be self sufficient you'll be ok.

Looks like a great ride. Too far away for me too. That pothole looks lonely there all on it's own! Are you sure those pictures were taken recently and not 10 years ago? :D

Hillwalker":2zf9axxi said:

HW
There aren't many events up here in the North East, but the Audax 'Dave's Tour of the Dales' out of Richmond on 13th September is also a great day out. I did it last year as my first Audax, although I wasn't prepared for some of the hills.
There were about 30 entries last year, but I expect there will be more this year, following the Grand Depart. There is a choice of 100, 150 or 200km routes. It is run by Swaledale Outdoor Club, but you will find it on the Aukweb site.

-----
Bruce

Re:

I can't vouch for the authenticity of the photographs and that pothole could well have several friends lurking elsewhere.

I've been fiddling with the Holdsworth that isn't a Holdsworth and its starting to look splendid. After mulling the merits of the Claud, I've descided on the Holdsworth thing for the ride. The Carradice and bagman cost more than the bike. :roll:

New tyres are required and I've got a pair of 27 x 1 1/4 Gatorskins.

Total spend so far;
Bike £70.00
Autosol £4.99
Chain £7.00 (I think)
Tyres about £40.00
Tubes £6.00

To spend: New brake blocks as it's a bit frightening and maybe some bar tape.

Attachments

• carrots 039.jpg
    carrots 039.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 749
Re:

Looks like an interesting event, but the 7:30 start might be a bit of a challenge! Tempting....

Back