IF I wanted a modern bike....

Re:

Giant Trance or Specialized Camber I'd say. The FSR and Maestro kinematics are pretty neutral so good for a first place to start with modern kit. You might actually get a more recent Boardman FS for that money, which will get you into 650b territory; https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2153352/ for example.
Try and get a dropper post on whatever you get though, hugely worth having.

Re: Re:

Cheers bud.. so a dropper post.....that's what we used to call a Hite Rite yeah ? :cool: :D ...and F'in hell I have just seen the prices of them !

gradeAfailure":109wjtos said:
Giant Trance or Specialized Camber I'd say. The FSR and Maestro kinematics are pretty neutral so good for a first place to start with modern kit. You might actually get a more recent Boardman FS for that money, which will get you into 650b territory; https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2153352/ for example.
Try and get a dropper post on whatever you get though, hugely worth having.

Re:

If you can get a 27.5 or 29 then bonus but giant trance is a contender. Even if Im biased because I have one :LOL:

Can easily get a modern full sus marin for that but in all fairness I prefer the giant.

Re:

The boardmans seem good value. The giant just looks too alien to what I am used to..as does the orange five tbh

Re: Re:

Antstark":2cvjh7nc said:
The boardmans seem good value. The giant just looks too alien to what I am used to..as does the orange five tbh

As a starting point I would go with the Boardman Pro 29er...not full suss but with the larger wheels much more forgiving. You can pick up one on ebay for under £500

Re:

I recently bought a full carbon 29er which was an absolute bargain imho.

It's a felt 9 elite, and whilst I wasn't shopping for a new bike, I stumbled across it, and for the price thought why the hell not. Rrp was £2.5k for a bike kitted out with sram x-7/9, Reba forks etc.

I started the process of upgrading, selling off the x-7/9, avid brakes, Reba forks, wheels etc and replaced them with x-0, Sid, FSA carbon cranks, easton carbon bars and post, eventually wheels too.

I shopped around, took advantage of sales, bought and serviced parts where needed/could not afford new prices and ended up with a bike that would probably retail at the £5k mark for about a tenth of that.

I guess I'm saying if you are in no rush, hone your final build plans and budget.

If you have the time and inclination, buy a bike with some bits you want, use as is, and gradually source the dream build parts when they come up at a price you are willing to pay.

Whilst it might not be your dream bike, I ended up with this. It's had me out riding more in the last few months than I've ridden over the last few years.

I still hang on to a couple of retro garage queens (more than I should), but I ride this for hours on end and it's really comfy, light and aside from going crazy on a wheel upgrade (which I'm not doing), it's about as high spec as I could want (I blame retro bike for turning me into a parts snob).

I do have a nice build I've barely ridden. 26er macmahone the sword frame, Reba bolt through forks, xt 10x3 drive train (mostly new), ritchey wcs wheels and some nice finishing kit I've ridden once since building. I've pinched the brakes but can add others. I should sell it really....

Attachments

• 2017-05-09 12.12.35.jpg
    2017-05-09 12.12.35.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 623
  • 2017-04-03 23.00.36.jpg
    2017-04-03 23.00.36.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 623
Re:

Thanks Ian... I think that's exactly where I am in my mind. I want to get out and actually enjoy cycling again, without the worry of destroying that NOS part I just spent 3 months trying to source. Doesn't have to be top of the range....and I see yours is red so according to the advice I've been given here it must be one of the fastest! :D

Kermit - mmmm that's exactly the kind of thing! No money at the mo......but spot on :roll: :xmas-cool: Although he admits he bought it to replace his older bikes but never rides it :?

Re:

For that sort of riding I would agree a 29'er HT would be the way to go, that Felt looks a top job but keep an eye out for Trek too.

Carbon rides really nice compared to the alu alternatives and steel is just heavy without benefit on these bikes.

Re:

Why not get a frame and stick some older bits on it then if you like it or don't use it then no loss just sell it on again ;)

I keep looking at that Sobre multi frame :D

Back