If I purchase a bike in the USA?

Papillon

Old School Hero
Sorry if this has been addressed ! Can a person from the USA fly to the UK with a bike box as luggage at just the cost of the fair plus excess luggage fee?

Legally, not really. In reality, probably. You should obviously declare it on arrival, assuming it cost over £150 (I think)

If the US owner was to bring their bike to the UK, and sell it when here... it should be declared, but you would probably get away with it. I bought a a frame and fork in Houston and brought it back in my luggage in the 90s. Both items cost me less than the £150 mark each though.

Re:

Yes, if it looks like the bike is for (and has been) for their personal use. If they're stopped and it looks brand new they might get clobbered for duty/fines etc, but I can't see that happening TBH.

Re:

I've done this a couple of ways.

A few years back I bought a retro bianchi racer in NYC and just bought it home in a bike bag no questions asked.

Recently I bought a Fat Chance off this site and the seller just labelled it 'used mountain bike' value $75 and I paid about £27 import costs.

:D
Mate of mine used to supplement his salary with bikes and bits bought in the US during his monthly business trips. Take a bike bag and BSO out, bring back £5k worth of top end race machine. (Having ridden it round the car park a few times of course)

Don't think he ever got stopped/taxed/fined.

Was the end of an era when he got promoted and stopped the international trips........

Re:

I bought a brand new bike in the states on my last visit in February. I asked the bike shop if they could put the bike in a different manufacturer bike box without things like instructions/warranty etc that might show it as new for obvious reasons.

I paid the $25 as extra luggage on British Airways at the airport and on it went. When I got to Heathrow it had tsa tape on the top, they inspected it to check it was a bike( to be expected), no problems at all and I went straight through customs with no issues.

Re: Re:

WWC":1uso06zj said:
Recently I bought a Fat Chance off this site and the seller just labelled it 'used mountain bike' value $75 and I paid about £27 import costs.

You'd have to be careful doing that though - if something had happened to the bike/frame then wouldn't you only be covered up to the $75 declared value (assuming it was insured)..?

Barneyballbags":9f1rwld5 said:
WWC":9f1rwld5 said:

You'd have to be careful doing that though - if something had happened to the bike/frame then wouldn't you only be covered up to the $75 declared value (assuming it was insured)..?

Not true at all. The declared value for customs, and insured value do not have to be the same

Pyro Tim":geyvd502 said:
Barneyballbags":geyvd502 said:
WWC":geyvd502 said:

Not true at all. The declared value for customs, and insured value do not have to be the same

OK. Interesting. Thanks for pointing that out. I always thought they had to match where insurance purposes were concerned. Another thing learned!

if you listen to some courier companies you'd think that, but they don't know what they are doing anyway. Usually data input monkeys that don't know why they are doing what they are doing. If you are told this, get it insured via a 3rd party.

Back