IDing a resprayed Holdsworth frame. Is it even a Holdsworth?

S1m0nR

Old School Hero
Hello chaps,

I've just finished rebuilding a bike for a friend and am wondering if anyone can identify what the frame started out as. It's been sprayed to look like a Holdsworth Triathalon [sic] from 1987:

TriathlonClassic87.jpg

However, the paintjob is clearly a DIY effort and I don't think the frame is right for a Triathalon, mainly because it doesn't have mudguard clearance or eyelets on the dropouts as the bike does in the brochure picture above. The serial number, 939459, is stamped on the bottom bracket in pretty small numerals, probably about half the size of a Raleigh serial number.

The BB is Engish threaded, seatpost is 27mm, and it's drilled for modern recessed brake fitting in both the forks and rear brake bridge. I couldn't see a manufacturer's mark on the dropouts, but they were variously fairly worn or heavily painted. I didn't weigh it, but it's clearly a lightweight frameset - Reynolds 531-type weight.

Here's are a few pics of the frameset - cheers for any insight!

Mystery bike frame detail. by John Doe, on Flickr

Mystery bike frame by John Doe, on Flickr

Looks like a Marlboro "Holdsworth" i.e. after Marlboro acquired the name and not a "true" Holdsworth. Perhaps you have seen the Kilgariff site and obtained catalog pic from there? Although he states Falcon acquired name in Feb, 1987 he says evidence shows the catalog was written in '86 for '87 season. See:

http://www.nkilgariff.com/Models.htm

Back