I want the answer and i want it NOW.........

I just had my BB removal tool in the vice, used the frame as leverage after soaking it in Plus Gas all day. Shredded the left hand side BB cup. It's not budging, ever.

I'm kind of wincing as I type this but which frame is it?

The reason I ask is that if you can get the other cup out and the frame is steel, you might be able to dissolve the damaged aluminium cup (assuming it is) with caustic soda

Last edited:

The reason I ask is that if you can get the other cup out and the frame is steel, you might be able to dissolve the damaged aluminium cup (assuming it is) with caustic soda

It's a Kona Cindercone, 1995. Neither cups are moving. Shame but not the end of the world.

I thought you were asking to ascertain whether it could be Italian threaded.

Ok, which complete b***ard invented stuck bottom brackets. I'm going to go around to his house and smash his face in with a half brick.

Who's coming along.
I feel your pain, and I'm ready to lay down my BB tool and grab my pitchfork. If you find out the address, let me know.

I'm thinking about the caustic soda option on one frame but trying to work out the best way to protect the paint. The bolted-on BB tool is rounding before the BB shifts so much as a millimetre. The other side is a plastic cup and just sheered off in chunks. :( I took another frame to the LBS and the vice trick didn't work: the frame was in danger of being permanently damaged before the BB would shift. A four foot long pole attached to the BB tool—no joy either. The LBS gave up. :(

Last edited:
Sure you've tried but try a little tightening before loosening...and when loosening get someone to give the BB tool a clump with a hammer ....shock does help when it's under tension!
If no joy I'm happy to go on a stuck BB witch hunt I like burning things and bbq's.

A good hammer and left in the sun and loads of leverage and various lubracnt looseness and three years or so of persistence every now and again got a bb out of one of my frames.

Bolting the remover down is essential, but you have to keep loosening it ever small twist once it gets going.

The Alu-O on the other hand needed the bb cups mutilating then hammering the inner bb out and then hacksawing the bb cup and bending it on on itself, all while keeping the bb frame thread usable.
Such fun.

All worked in the end.

Back