I think I’ve been scammed via RetroBike!

ti_pin_man

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
As some of you know I’ve been looking for the rods and pin connectors for my manitou fs. Hard to find but somebody on here who’s user name is Rebecca said they knew somebody with these and would put me in touch. I thought fab. I was too keen. I was then emailed by a gmail account rufuscart38@gmail.com saying he had the parts from a bike he was dismantling. 150usd. I trustingly paid via PayPal friends and the email was a stephenmuia6@yahoo.com.

Now I haven’t had them delivered and the emails are dead ends. No replies.

I was a dumb fcuk and shouldn’t have trusted but I’ve always felt trusting towards this site. It’s a small community and have never had any other problems with dealing with others.

So... I guess what I’m saying is I’ve learned that even an IT graduate can be scammed. So make sure you check things out when you trade as even somebody who thought he knew a thing or two about IT\ web stuff can be mugged.

Can the mods do anything about the Rebecca6 user? Block.
Anybody got a broken mani fs they wanna sell?

No sympathy being looked for. I was dumb. And in a Hill Street Blues style: “be careful out there”.

Damn, sorry to read this mate. Can't be too careful it seems.

Re:

Did you pay using paypal balance or just through paypal and the money went from your bank? If the latter then it might be worth contacting your bank and asking about a chargeback. Doesn't always work but I have seen a few people successfully get their money back through that.

Re: Re:

MarinMartin":16e23n4n said:
Did you pay using paypal balance or just through paypal and the money went from your bank? If the latter then it might be worth contacting your bank and asking about a chargeback. Doesn't always work but I have seen a few people successfully get their money back through that.

My bank.. I’ll call them later and see if there’s anything they can do. Cheers buddy. It may help.

rAh, sorry to hear that. I assume the money has been claimed and not still pending? otherwise you can still cancel transaction. Yes, you also need to notify your bank and paypal too.

Re:

A good trick with PayPal is calling them on the phone. You have to dig deep to find the number on the website.

If you use Paypal gift then I'm afraid you are naive. To all intents it's giving money to a total stranger in the hope they will deliver later.
Personally I do use it PPG to people on here who have been on the forum for a while, but even then up to only £100.

Re:

That's awful, I was also contacted via a wanted add on here by the same user, seems it's happened quite a bit.
There is a warning thread pinned in the wanted section, maybe the mods could now move it to the top of each section?

Re:

It’s a pity we can’t have some sort of list of trusted sellers who have been verified by maybe sending a copy of driving license and confirmed PayPal address or something. . It would be a massive process I’d guess for admin though.

Back