I had the day to find and build a bike... 1994 kona explosif

explosifpete

Old School Hero
The day before our holiday to Lithuania to see my wife's family she wisely suggested I should just leave a bike there rather than carting a bike back and forward each time we go, great idea, shame it came the day before we were due to leave :shock:
Cue an evening of disappointment on ebay and then off to a secondhand bike shop the next day.
I brought this 94 Explosif frame which came with a pace rc35 fork, headset, two chainsets, stem, shifters, bars, and brakes all for £45 and a couple favors.
Then spent the day with my boy so didn't get to start the build until 5 o'clock, all was going way until i realized one of the fork ends had came loose so another trip out to get the rigid fork.
A raid of the parts bin and it was complete, couple of bodges including a beer can seatpost shim but it works and after a couple hundred off road miles in the forests of Lithuania (and a couple of KOMs :p )
I can confirm that its a bit small, bikes have got better but its still lots of fun to ride :D

wow, thats awesome! im usually still thinking of packing and finding my passport. never mind finding, buying, building and packing the bike! well done dude, hope you had tons of fun

The very last minute bit was to wrap it in some trampoline netting to get it on the plane as it has to be wrapped up, came though unharmed :)

That looks like a fun bike to ride in those awesome surroundings!

Nice beer can in the second photo... did you have to make a second shim in the middle of the ride? :mrgreen:

That is the beer can that I made the can from :)
No bears anymore but still some wolves......I only saw a pack of domestic dogs

Back