How much of a truly uk made bike can you build nowadays?

MisterGrizzly

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Here's one for you guys (hopefully)...

Having years ago tried to produce my (non uk frame) pro flex 856 with as many uk parts as possible, I'm now thinking of building a new hardtail and thought to myself (with the decline in manufacturing since the 90s) how much of a bike can I possibly construct from uk made components in 2011?

I realise that a lot of stuff is rebadged of course (like most carbon stuff inc. USE), that so many uk based small component manufacturers have gone bump, and that x-lite (used to love their bar ends and seat posts, skewers etc) have been sold on (are they really uk now?), pace has largely gone all dt Swiss for forks/components (only the frames nowadays) and hope do seem to have stayed British so to speak, and there's always brooks for a saddle if I can ever wear one in.... And my beloved middleburn? Please tell me they're still uk makers?! I still want a guy to be machining those crank arms from a piece of alloy actually in a workshop here not elsewhere...

But as a concept, can anyone attempt to provide a list of uk manufacturers for as complete a uk made bike as possible?! Bars? Grips? Wheels? I'm thinking drivetrain is either Japanese or Italian, spokes are Swiss, tyres are Asian, is there an option out there?! Am I mad?

Please have a go... It's hard but you may also help me to invest in them in the future and also raise awareness?! I would be amazed if it was possible... But let's see......?!

Cheers guys

Best of british so to speak (and no, I'm not xenophobic, it would just be nice to try and build a bike with that in mind!)!

For components: Hope, BETD/Goldtec, Burgtec, Middleburn and SOME USE stuff....

AFAIK, that's it.

Frames - Dave Yates is still going as are other well-know steel frame builders. Orange weld many of their own frames too.

So Hope for your hubs, brakes, BB, spacers, headset, rotors, stem, seatpost and at some point cassette, cranks and pedals.
Middleburn for your cranks, chainrings /bolts
Renthal bars resurfaced but not sure if they are made in the UK
USE seatposts and stems are, I believe, still made in UK.
Goldtec hubs and chainrings
BETD suspension modifications, bolts and gear dropouts
Burgtec platform pedals and various speciality DH things

So really, except for forks and bar ends - the same range as always. X-lite moved their manufacturing overseas ages before they ceased operating.

dbmtb":2b8g770r said:
For components: Hope, BETD/Goldtec, Burgtec, Middleburn and SOME USE stuff....

AFAIK, that's it.

Frames - Dave Yates is still going as are other well-know steel frame builders. Orange weld many of their own frames too.

So Hope for your hubs, brakes, BB, spacers, headset, rotors, stem, seatpost and at some point cassette
Middleburn for your cranks, chainrings /bolts
Renthal bars resurfaced but not sure if they are made in the UK
USE seatposts and stems are, I believe, still made in UK.
Goldtec hubs and chainrings
BETD suspension modifications, bolts and gear dropouts
Burgtec platform pedals and various speciality DH things

So really - the same range as always. X-lite moved their manufacturing overseas ages before they ceased operating.

Thanks! That's a GREAT reply, thank you very much, so some 'hope' so to speak...!

I'm not sure about renthal either, anyone? I do love my 96 pace/renthal plus 130s though on my old proflex!

Anyone else out there with anything? Cheers guys!

Yeah just to clarify pace frames are no longer uk made. They haven't been since the square tubers.

Yes - Royce - how did I forget them? Only have 4 of their BBs running.....

Doh.

RC104s are not made in the UK as far as I know. I believe they are made in Eastern Europe.

The 104 was destined to be made in the uk but I understand that changed fairly late on in the development process.

Latest posts

Back