How much is too much seatpost?

The current trend seems to be smaller frames and long posts.
Errrrr, lower frames, not smaller... they're usually designed around having a longer post. A smaller frame size might not be.

I'd be careful, the last frame i bought that i was on the cusp of needing the next size up, i bent the seatpost (and i was a featherweight then!)

Just checked the size charts and the next size up only adds 35mm to the top tube so there would still be 11cm of post. Standover is only increased by 22mm.

I guess this is a 'lower' frame as you put it, I'm not up on modern terms when it comes to bikes, assumed smaller was a word that would at least describe what I meant, if not the right term. Learning something new.

Will see how it goes, can always get a new frame in future if it turns out it is too small. Hopefully not as it is coming together nicely and looks great.

In building the latest Ragley Marley for the Grom (27.5 Med - he's 5-foot-eight inches) I was pretty struck by how 'low' the frame was overall. They have a seat tube extension WAY above the TT with a small brace, which gives more peace of mind re long posts. Regarding the size of the frame, it's such a swamp of differing opinions - and, at 5-7, I have a COTIC med (perfect....although Cy Turner's official sizing says it should be too large) a Transition med ( a wee bit big...but rides fine), a COTIC small (which is a bit...small...even though the size charts says it should be spot on) and a LARGE Ragley 2016 mmmBop...which I really, really like. So....to go beyond personal opinion and into something which might have some basis in science of biomechanics, we have the excellent Alex Bogusky:

I tried the 'two steps' method - I have two aluminium step-ups which work really well - and found that only the med COTIC and one of the jump bikes really matches the RAD concept in the video....which is interesting. my fave bike, the mmmmBop is definitely RAD+. Take a look, it's interesting, I think.

I enjoyed watching that. Definitely on the rad plus size of things but that said, if it good enough for the 5ft 11 yeti guy to ride a medium....

I mist admit I think without actually riding the seat post is going to be too high. Just plopped it in based on my 29er.

Is the philosophy to still have legs almost extended at the knee at the bottom of the stroke?

Back