How much is my road bike (or parts of) worth?

I’ve found myself with two wheelsets now. One has 600 ultegra hubs and MA4 rims, db spokes etc but is it better to sell whole or break down?
Hubs would certainly sell but maybe not the rims so readily, and then again a complete wheel is so much stronger when faced with the rigours of couriers.

Hi all, I need some help valuing my ALAN Record Carbonio from late 80s possibly early 90s (Best guess from some googling)? It's a 54cm frame with a Shimano 600 groupset, the chain, brake pads, rear mech pulleys and cabling are all reasonably new (I restored the bike a few years ago and it has stayed in a shed unridden since then). I put some cheap bar tape and tyres on it so that I could give it a test spin but I suspect they will both need changing. The brakes work very well and the gears shift alright but may need a tune up. The pedals and the wheels spin freely with no grinding or resistance. The headset feels tight and moves smoothly so I suspect everything is alright up front. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I wouldn't even know where to start price wise. I can provide extra pictures if needed. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 1000006591.jpg
    1000006591.jpg
    822.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 1000006592.jpg
    1000006592.jpg
    838 KB · Views: 18
  • 1000006593.jpg
    1000006593.jpg
    574 KB · Views: 14
  • 1000006594.jpg
    1000006594.jpg
    592.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 1000006595.jpg
    1000006595.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 1000006596.jpg
    1000006596.jpg
    673.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 1000006597.jpg
    1000006597.jpg
    690.3 KB · Views: 19
Hi all, I need some help valuing my ALAN Record Carbonio from late 80s possibly early 90s (Best guess from some googling)? It's a 54cm frame with a Shimano 600 groupset, the chain, brake pads, rear mech pulleys and cabling are all reasonably new (I restored the bike a few years ago and it has stayed in a shed unridden since then). I put some cheap bar tape and tyres on it so that I could give it a test spin but I suspect they will both need changing. The brakes work very well and the gears shift alright but may need a tune up. The pedals and the wheels spin freely with no grinding or resistance. The headset feels tight and moves smoothly so I suspect everything is alright up front. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I wouldn't even know where to start price wise. I can provide extra pictures if needed. Thank you in advance.
Nice bike and couple of years ago it would not be long before a buyer would come forward. Unfortunately today it is rather a buyer's market. I'd guess round £350 -£400 max, although even that may be on more optimistic side, so you may drop a bit if wanted to sell in a reasonable amount of time. But if someone is looking for this exact model in size as above....

If my viewing is right, it's carbon fibre mainframe - Finite life. Old Alan's were Aluminium frame, Cyclocross target market. It does look a lovely bike but I wouldn't dare to suggest a value.

Nice bike and couple of years ago it would not be long before a buyer would come forward. Unfortunately today it is rather a buyer's market. I'd guess round £350 -£400 max, although even that may be on more optimistic side, so you may drop a bit if wanted to sell in a reasonable amount of time. But if someone is looking for this exact model in size as above....
I would agree on the lower end estimate. Without a higher tier groupset they are more difficult to sell at a premium price.
If my viewing is right, it's carbon fibre mainframe - Finite life. Old Alan's were Aluminium frame, Cyclocross target market. It does look a lovely bike but I wouldn't dare to suggest a value.
Correct! especially for a 30 yr old(?) or more used frame of unknown mileage and conditions (rider weight, road surfaces, etc.) it was used for. Resins do breakdown over time just like any glue, and these early frames were at the cusp of the carbon boom soon to hit in the next 5 to ten years where improvements were made as to how the carbon fiber is bonded together.

@VelourFog I would certainly take time to polish up the lugs/crown (30min to 1hr; it will look a lot better and draw a buyer's attention), and put some wax on the whole frame since that top tube looks a little rough. Ebayers are probably selling the bare frames for about 250 pounds or more, but they also take a 13% or more hit from ebay fees, plus packing costs/time. As long as tires are rideable without excessive wear I would leave them be. Throw on some black bar wrap is my opinion, but since it's in good shape that is a buyer's preference kind of thing; somebody might like the yellow and not black, etc.

Last edited:
I’ve found myself with two wheelsets now. One has 600 ultegra hubs and MA4 rims, db spokes etc. but is it better to sell whole or break down?
Hubs would certainly sell but maybe not the rims so readily, and then again a complete wheel is so much stronger when faced with the rigours of couriers.
Save time and try selling as a wheelset. If no takers, break them down.

Back