How long does Stan's last?

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well.......

I forgot to top up The Ragley MMMMMbop going to Wales and GAPOW the usual sharp Welsh shale put a 3mm rip into my rear tyre - and the air inside decided to entirely vacate the casing and join its friends hanging around the tops of Welsh mountains. Walk of shame.

And I wondered....well....I think the last time I topped that up was around 9 months ago. Which looks like being too long. Anyway, next day, quick 80mls in and off we go. Tra La.

Now...last week we arrived in the Alps and I needed to service the Grom's DH bike, which was Stanned up in Summer 2020 and then hung around unused throughout Lockdown. I decided to put on new rubber front and rear and was astonished when I pulled off the rear to find plenty of reasonably fit Stans. It would have dealt with thorns and small holes without problem I think, although the efficacy would probably have been limited to that. But that's pretty astonishing.

I’ve found it depends on the tyre and bike use. Relatively light tyres and the sidewalls were forever weeping. When I opened a section of bead to check there as no sealant left just a ball of fibre. Heavier weight tyres don’t tend to evaporate as badly and the sealant stay wet for longer.
More riding means more punctures that seal before you realise, although you will use up the sealant.
Stans also doesn’t like sun zero temps, so if you ride a lot in these it splits and balls up easily.

I tend to give wheels a shake when I’ve stripped the bike for cleaning. If I can hear sloshing, there’s enough in there.

No idea how long it lasts, I've yet to get tubeless on my bikes but I did research it and bought stuff to do it. Spent ages looking for longer life stuff as I think 6 months was about the norm for most sealant (sometimes shorter) I found a product that allegedly never goes off but have yet to use it to test it's claims.

Back