How do I get this lock off?

dannylonglegs98

Retro Newbie
Hi all, I have a question about my old Dawes Ambassador - I've locked my back wheel in the frame lock and I don't have the key. I didn't realise it was a frame lock until I'd locked it and saw the keyhole afterward, don't ask...

It looks like it's about a 10mm rod, I don't use the lock and it's rusty so I'm open to sawing the whole thing off if that's the best option. It's also in a kind of awkward spot on the seatstays, pics attached. Happy to post previous photos if anyone's worried I've nicked it.

Help‽

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    473.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 21B9C43C-3EC5-4497-8993-B05B42C41041.jpeg
    21B9C43C-3EC5-4497-8993-B05B42C41041.jpeg
    365.9 KB · Views: 31
You could try picking the lock, failing that drilling the barrel.

If neither worked, Rather than using a hacksaw which I suspect maybe too cumbersome in that tight space, a mutli tool (This sort of thing if unsure what I'm referring to https://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/multi-tools/cat830708) maybe a better idea, with a metal plunge cutting blade (Bosch are very good) to either cut the bar or if you're brave (cant see the clearance, so your call) get in behind the mechanisms and carefully remove the whole lot from the stays.

Alternatively a locksmith ;)

What did you think sticking a bar through the wheel with a lock on one end would do if not lock it?

You could try picking the lock, failing that drilling the barrel.

If neither worked, Rather than using a hacksaw which I suspect maybe too cumbersome in that tight space, a mutli tool (This sort of thing if unsure what I'm referring to https://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/multi-tools/cat830708) maybe a better idea, with a metal plunge cutting blade (Bosch are very good) to either cut the bar or if you're brave (cant see the clearance, so your call) get in behind the mechanisms and carefully remove the whole lot from the stays.

Alternatively a locksmith ;)
image.jpg The lock is attached like this, it looks like it might just be 2 of these brazings(?) on each chainstay to attach it. I think dremelling might be my best option

What did you think sticking a bar through the wheel with a lock on one end would do if not lock it?
The whole thing is indefensible but it's taken me 2 years to realise that the pin even moved and I wasn't expecting it to be a frame lock because I've never seen one in person. Lessons have been learnt. Do you think the lock would be brazed on to the frame?

I'd have a look at picking that. It's only going to be a simple lock inside so how hard could it be...

As @dyna-ti mentioned, check out the Lock Picking Lawyer videos. It'll probably open with a simple rake and you'll be able to keep the lock on there as an interesting curiosity/feature.

Back