Hope screw on hub compatibility

Dossa

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Bought a nice Hope screw on hub from Easy_Rider recently and, as I'm no wheel builder, took it along to my LBS to be built up. Picked up some m732 thumbies as well so asked for those to be chucked on as well. Then a phone call to say the drivetrains not compatible with the hub?

Drivetrain:

XT thumbies M-732
XC Pro front mech
XT rear mech M735
STX MC-30 chainset
(thumbies have replaced the 7speed STX STI shifters, that's the only difference in the gearing there)

&

Rear Wheel:

7spd Hope screw on rear hub which has replaced an old Deore LX one with a HG30 cassette.

Anyone suggest 'owt? :cry:

Yours,

Depressed from Birkenhead

:D

Obviously you need a screw on freewheel. The old HG30 cassette won't fit. Other than that I see now problem (it is possible the LBS don't carry any reasonable quality screw on kit these days.)

Well they are talking cock then :LOL:

It's all 7 speed, and has the same 5.0mm cassette spacing.
The problem is more that the shifters pre-date the snot-faced kid fitting them. :roll:

Time to find a new bike shop.

Think you may be right there.... very disappointing as they're usually spot on :(

Even to my untrained eye, it's all 7speed early 90s gear that should work together. I expected more to be fair, oh well... anyone recommend a top bike shop on the Wirral then for future reference? :facepalm:

:D

Only my uncle's place on edge lane in l'pool Quinn's cycles thats where am taking my rts to get build and wheels done too.

I know its not the wirral but a shameless plug anyway! :D

On Edge Lane? Famous bike shop in L'pool that.

Can you get me a discount, then...? :mrgreen:

lol wouldnt like to say i went and got my sons bike from there at xmas (a bmx :roll: ) got some knocked off but not a mega amount and am family!

If you go my uncle is called malcom but if you ask for steve and tell him what you want then he should be able to help you.

yer pretty famous/well known place as its been there for years.

i used to go upto the peak district with em all when i was still at high school maybe keep in mind if no luck on the wirral.

This setup works fine,most people wouldnt know a screw on freewheel in shops now apart from the cheap stuff fitted to childrens bikes and cheap adult bikes.
I run a pace screw on hub,with a Suntour freewheel,XT thumbies and it works perfectly.
I would guess that like me ypour bikes are probably as old as a lot of people working in bike shops,apart from me as I am an lod fart!!! :D :D

To be fair - SOME 7 speed freewheels don't have the same indexing. I had all sorts of problems with a Regina Extra in an all-Shimano setup once.

Which freewheel is it?

Back