Honjo Koken H58 Fenders

Blackbike

Retro Guru
As usual I am wandering off into the unknown. This time with a set of Honjo Koken H58 fenders that have a profile similar to the mid 1960's Raleigh "Sports" 3 speed. The fenders are going on my Bob Jackson World Tour. The fender set was purchased about an hour ago after being smitten with how beautiful they were with clean crisp British lines, so I am hoping to get a plan together for installation before delivery, the fenders are 41mm wide and 15mm deep to be installed over 32X700 Gatorskins.
The fenders have a hard ridge down the center and I am wondering how members have dealt with the mounting situation of the raised ridge and the fork crown daruma.
This ridge will have to be flattened in the area of the fork crown daruma and if anyone has any advice on how to work this area without disturbing the radius of the fender, it would be greatly appreciated, as would any other Honjo fitting advice.

Attachments

• H58.jpg
    H58.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,147
Ooww! I like those! They seem to have escaped my attention until you posted them. Thanks for that!

non-fixie":17pokdh0 said:
Ooww! I like those! They seem to have escaped my attention until you posted them. Thanks for that!

Hi Non-Fixie,
I'm always happy to help someone find neat parts :D . I think I have a plan to form the reliefs or dimples for this fender set.
I will have to make a set forming bucks of the inside and outside of the fender from fiberglass and resin about 10 inches long to be stiff enough to maintain the fenders shape and by clamping the fender from both sides with a gap on the top buck to allow enough space to shrink that raised ridge for the mounting points, by shaping the lower buck for the final contour of the mounting points, and working the aluminum with shaped hardwood dowels and a bit of beeswax, I pretty sure I won't screw up the fenders.
I know this sounds like a ton of work, I am open to all suggestions :D

CyclingTheLakes":1mxptac2 said:
Mudguards, not fenders over here. Let's see how it progresses.

Thanks for that, "mudguards" it is. The Honjo mudguard set arrived yesterday evening in fine condition and I was very satisfied with the workmanship and flawless finish. I was very surprised to find that the relief for the fork crown was already pressed into the front mudguard, this was the one area I was not looking forward to working as that is a lot of material to reshape in such a small area. The remainder of the the work to mount the mudguards is simple in comparison and easily be done with a shaped wood block as a backer and a dowel as a punch to compress the raised ridge on the center-line of the mudguard at the mounting points.
The fit over 700X32 tyres is good, and in my opinion and that is about the limit as far as tyre width goes, the 41mm width is a good fit in the Bob Jackson World Tour frame, clearance is ample with light interference at the chain stays, this is nothing that very small dimples won't cure. I will also say that any mudguard over 45mm wide would be painful to install in this frame.
As far as H58 mudguard length goes their slightly longer than 3 speed club bikes to my eye. as far as aesthetics go, to my eye a perfect match for for my English all-rounder.

Happy Holidays: Mike :xmas-big-grin:

Re:

Hey Mike,

Don't know if you'll see this post. I've been smitten by those particular "English" fenders too since I first saw them. Am currently rebuilding my own BJ frame. But I haven't been able to bring myself to invest in them for all the worries that you were bringing up in your original post. And there are very few photos of them online to see how they look once installed.

How did you get on with the final fitting on your BJ? Any photos or advice you can share now that you've put some mileage on them?

Cheers,
E.

Latest posts

Back