Holdsworth Special. Frame number 104?

Yes, I would see this as a 531 Special with early 70's 4 digit number. Bit of an odd group of numbers these so could be difficult to determine exactly who built it.

Setting aside the issue of the serial # for the moment, this is a v obvious 531 Special to my mind. 531 Special had a very distinctive combo of Prugnat 62/S lugs and (lack of) braze-ons including no mudguard eyes. Only ever 73 degree parallel frame and 40" wheelbase. I raced on one in the 70s and still own (another) one. So, how about interpreting the serial as omitting three leading zeros? That puts it fair and square (1976) into the v limited time frame of 531 Special production. I would point out that a '531 Special' and a 'Special' are two different models, with different lug sets. We were v disappointed when the 531 Special was dropped and replaced with the Special which seemed a bit too near to the Mistral in spec (most of us already had Mistrals for winter training, touring and generally bumming around on - I've still got mine). We speculated at the time that Holdsworth thought the 531 Special was too near to the Pro in character and spec and might be detracting from Pro sales. This was all complete nonsense, of course, since the 531 Special and the Special have exactly the same geometry and differ only in details. Didn't stop us thinking it though!

Last edited:
Yes I think no doubt its a 531 Special as it also has the distinctive seat stay attachment to the seat lug. Looking again at the number I wonder if this is not actually the frame number at all, forget my comments on the 4 digit number, there might be another number under the paint higher up on the drive side. The number shown in the picture is clearly not a 6 digit number as all the ones I have seen have the leading zeros and in the early days were up near the down tube socket on the drive side. As the 531 was only out in 76 I suspect this one too carries a 6 digit number under the paint.

1641136496322.png 1641136543419.png

Yes I think no doubt its a 531 Special as it also has the distinctive seat stay attachment to the seat lug. Looking again at the number I wonder if this is not actually the frame number at all, forget my comments on the 4 digit number, there might be another number under the paint higher up on the drive side. The number shown in the picture is clearly not a 6 digit number as all the ones I have seen have the leading zeros and in the early days were up near the down tube socket on the drive side. As the 531 was only out in 76 I suspect this one too carries a 6 digit number under the paint.

Yeah, makes sense. My 531 Spesh has an identical serial location - see rather poor pic, which shows location, if not the legible number (001813). Here's the whole bike as well in original paint finish. Needless to say, when I actually raced (on a similar machine, not this one) I could NOT afford all the Super Record bling shown here.

Attachments

• 06.JPG
    06.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 15
  • cropped_enhanced_DSC_7503.jpg
    cropped_enhanced_DSC_7503.jpg
    861.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back