Holdsworth or Roy Thame

dwscrimshaw

Retro Guru
Having just responded to a similar thread I thought I'd post this. I have just bought this track framed bike off the bay which was reported to be a Holdsworth. Although a nice looking bike I had my doubts about the seat stay attachments and no number being available. As the price was good it looked like a good winter option.

Having had a good look at it, it looks very similar to the RT Competizione in his 70's catalog. As best as I can see the rear stays look like the description and the frame angles are correct. The seat pin is a bit small at 26.8mm for DB, but I did polish the top a bit to remove some scratches. Should really taken it out to check I guess.

I dropped the forks to look for a number and found nothing so reluctantly dug around under the paint. Again I found nothing in the usual places, but there is a 2 digit number, 55, on the BB lug for the down tube. Although rather short for a frame number I have seen some RT's with numbers here and the frame does also have cut outs in the head lugs for the top and down tubes, again similar to RT frames.

I am assuming this to be a ~1976 Competizione with an early RT number after he stopped using the Holdsworth shop numbers in 1975. Nice bike to ride and similar weight to my other shop built holdsworth track frame. I have now fitted winter tyres & mudguards and currently using it instead of spoiling the team color paint on the other bike. I have removed the Holdsworth decals and currently intend to replace them with RT.

Not that up to speed on early RT's so any comments would be useful.

Attachments

• bike.JPG
    bike.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 397
  • cat.JPG
    cat.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 399
  • bb.JPG
    bb.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 393
  • Number.JPG
    Number.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 392
  • bb2.JPG
    bb2.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 390
  • stay.JPG
    stay.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 397
Been looking again at the seat stay attachment to see if there are other makes with have anything similar. Come up with a few similar, but nothing exactly the same and the other frame features are completely wrong. Could be RT take on these type of attachments.

Attachments

• Argos Track (2).JPG
    Argos Track (2).JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 325
  • Bianchi X4.JPG
    Bianchi X4.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 325
  • Eaddie Merkx.JPG
    Eaddie Merkx.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 325
  • Hellans Track.JPG
    Hellans Track.JPG
    5.1 KB · Views: 325
  • Nishiki Superbe (1).JPG
    Nishiki Superbe (1).JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 325
Also found similar on Holdsworth 531 Special in 1976.

Attachments

• CB 5511 in Retrobike L.jpeg
    CB 5511 in Retrobike L.jpeg
    826.3 KB · Views: 221
  • CB 5511 in Retrobike R.jpeg
    CB 5511 in Retrobike R.jpeg
    712.8 KB · Views: 221
Back