Holdsworth Frame Numbers

Excellent marker. Cheers

Re: Eclipse / Holdsworth frame number

Bit late to the party, but this number looks very much like a 1948 (Apr) Claud Butler frame number w/matching font style and production number.

curzons246":8qeas5zl said:
This is the frame number on my Eclipse

Re:

Fascinating to read this discussion about Holdsworth frames. I put together my bike back in the early 80s using a Holdsworth Mistral frame. I still have it albeit not for much longer as it's for sale. Someone asked me what my bike's frame number was which led me here.

Anyway for the record the frame number appears to be 036204 and I bought it from John Atkins Cycles of Coventry on 15/7/82 if I'm reading my old receipt correctly - see images.

Attachments

• Receipt.jpg
    Receipt.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 639
  • FrameNumberSmall.jpg
    FrameNumberSmall.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 639
  • HoldsworthMistralBike.JPG
    HoldsworthMistralBike.JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 639
rbxmy,
Looks like this Mstral frame dates within present prediction to a mid 1981 build date. Assuming accurate would mean that lay in stock until mid 1982, as often was the case. Do you remember if John Atkins Cycles had the frame in their stock at time of purchase or was it ordered from factory? Nice bike.
Doug

CBguy":3rgs4kew said:
rbxmy,
Looks like this Mstral frame dates within present prediction to a mid 1981 build date. Assuming accurate would mean that lay in stock until mid 1982, as often was the case. Do you remember if John Atkins Cycles had the frame in their stock at time of purchase or was it ordered from factory? Nice bike.
Doug
Thanks - it was from stock so could well have been with John Atkins Cycles for some time.

Steve s":2ycjrb8j said:
a couple of pics below , if anyone with a cyclone deluxe would share the rivet spacing dimension it would help me check if mine originally had the cyclone deluxe badge.
There are pics of an all chrome 1948 cyclone deluxe track frame on the net with no badge, but cannot see if the holes are there or not which stops it being used as a reference.
I would gather mine is quite an early one as they go ?
I couldn't find any response to Steve's previous request, but would also be very happy to find out about the rivet spacing of the Cyclone De-Luxe badge. Just recently acquired a Cyclone De-Luxe bicycle (more photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/hgabor/al ... 7566447147)

that came with a regular headbadge riveted on without doubt into originally drilled holes. Once the bottom ear had broken off the headbadge, a third rivet was driven through a hole drilled off-centre in the lower portion of the badge (shameful butchery, though)

Upon removing the headbadge, top and bottom rivet holes were proven as originals, suggesting that the headbadge the bike came with was either original, or perhaps if originally a Cyclone De-Luxe badge had been on the bike, then it had the same rivet spacing. The third, larger and off-centre hole (looking ugly though) will be either filled or just left as it is but will certainly be covered completely by a new badge (be it a regular or the De-Luxe version)

Attachments

• IMG_20201223_125639.jpg
    IMG_20201223_125639.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_20201211_112448_Bokeh.jpg
    IMG_20201211_112448_Bokeh.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 420
Re:

Nice frame, in the end I had a decal made up, it looks ok but not like a badge. Your frame looks identical mine, mine has had some braise ons added.
Your frame number is very close to mine, mine is 8924,so 36 frames between, the mudgaurd eyes are the prewar type like mine, I think early post war they where called English or French pattern.but I dont know which is which ?
Forks are the same and your looks like a 24" frame too.
The holes in my frame where not straight, it also had a modern badge fitted, leading me to have doubts about what was original. There where no other holes so maybe the original badge fitted the later spacings ?
I filled them and fitted a decal, lifes too short!
Cheers steve

Re:

Being only 36 frames far off is nice, isn't it, considering the 70+ years passed :p

My frame is 23" but it may look larger because of the optically longer looking headtube, for the clip-on type headset bearing recesses.

Yours do not have recessed headset bearings, does it? I have yet to see any other examples of this frame with recessed headset bearings, though...

I don't plan to give up on a brass headbadge, the common Holdsworth badge the bike came with is broken, though, but replacements are available (either used, NOS or remake copies).

What I'd like to find out, though, whether the De-Luxe badge and the common badge has the same rivet spacing, or not. Fortunately, I know someone who has a Cyclone De-Luxe bike with the De-Luxe badge so I will contact him and revert back with the info here on the forum, too.

Back