Hi ! What is this bates bike??? Im new to the site. I thought this might be the right place to get some advice.

Sorry for your loss. Your Dad had great taste 😍 Don't know what the red frame is. The wheelbase will be short though, which is why the seat tube is moved forwards and braced. For that purpose, 30/40s looking at the fittings. A few makers did similar things to shorten wheelbase, Baines, Waller, Claud Butler, Jack Taylor to name a few, I've not seen that style before though. Any numbers or stamping? Would need sharp picture of the lugs, b/b, fork crown, drop outs and fork ends.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss. Your Dad had great taste 😍 Don't know what the red frame is. The wheelbase will be short though, which is why the seat tube is moved forwards and braced. For that purpose, 30/40s looking at the fittings. A few makers did similar things to shorten wheelbase, Baines, Waller, Claud Butler, Jack Taylor to name a few, I've not seen that style before though. Any numbers or stamping? Would need sharp picture of the lugs, b/b, fork crown, drop outs and fork ends.
No problem .I shall try and get better pics of all the gear tomorrow and post them on here. It seems I have come to the right place. Comments from some cycle clever connoisseurs. My old man would've loved it here!!!
Sleep well sir(s)!!! And thankyou again for any advice/guidance

Have you got a picture of the bike with C.Barber on it please?
Think they are these @3wheeler7

Re the short wheel base frame {Brown } Sun Manx tt is another possibility .
Picture of mine below . Only 200 of these were made .

List of Sun frame numbers here .
View attachment 734855

The Bates is a lovely classic bicycle .
Wow!!!!!!! That is a striking looking machine. Fantastic. And thankyou for paying an interest, sir.
Unfortunately the 4 digit number is lost under the respray as with the others. Is it worth trying to uncover these serial numbers.....just for curiosity?

Attachments

• 16827856562371980014434373710278.jpg
    16827856562371980014434373710278.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 6
Wow!!!!!!! That is a striking looking machine. Fantastic. And thankyou for paying an interest, sir.
Unfortunately the 4 digit number is lost under the respray as with the others. Is it worth trying to uncover these serial numbers.....just for curiosity?
I think if you were careful you could pick the paint off and get a date. I'm convinced @bagpuss has it right.

Back