Hi and First Classic Roadbike - Claud Butler ‘ 853 ‘ (?)

Is it true my old Campag Mirage 9 brake lever shifters will work with Shimano 9 if I slightly extend gear cable route by linking it around end of derailleur near eyelet bolt? Not in a massive hurry to ditch Dura Ace frame mounted gear levers ….Chainset could be next to go …..Thoughts /suggestions ? Like ,I reckon ,why change super functional Sora callipers for old rusty 80s/90s ones that don’t work as well ….? But I could be tempted by a nice late 90s/early 00s Shimano gruppo

Really nice. I had the 653 version a couple of years ago but tyre clearance was so tight I decided to sell the frame. What's the clearance like on the 853?

Well chainset is a mtb one.😕
Nothing really wrong with that, but it not being a hybrid as such, kinda looks a bit out of place.🤔
Depends whether you're going to try to get this bike fully shimano, fully campagnolo, or leave it mixed.

Clearance not great .( tyre mark
on paintwork ) ChInset is most likely
Next thing to be swapped out along with prob some kind of ‘brifters’ being installed .But a test ride of new stem and tyres is priority -if it ever stops raining

get a new headset, looks like that was thrown together in a parts bin.

this worked for me and is cery affordable.

tange : levine headset (steel cups etc. polished) it has a very low stack height

go to a shop for extra 1" traditional spacers, if you get a traditional headset. The spacers probably are keyed (have an internal tab) for a slotted fork. you can always Dremel the tab off if the fork is not slotted in that area.

or you can use 1" aheadset spacers et.

just a thought

just used this on my Serotta build

nice bike 👍

Latest posts

Back