Here she is!

Gaddmeister

Retrobike Rider
Well here she is ready to roll! 91 Karakoram saved from a garden, seized seatpost, components etc. I have left the faded paintwork as is for the moment as hard to replicate. Went for some RC35's, Red label Flite saddle, XT spuds, Thumbshifters and stripped every component down and rebuilt her. I did not think I would like her with her crazy paintwork, but has really grown on me. This site has been fantastic! Thank you all.

Attachments

• WP_20141008_22_01_53_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141008_22_01_53_Pro.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1,539
  • WP_20141008_22_02_35_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141008_22_02_35_Pro.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 1,539
  • WP_20141008_22_02_59_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141008_22_02_59_Pro.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 1,539
Brings back memories. One of my cycling buddies from BITD had one of these as his first mountain bike (almost certainly a 91 bike, because the first mountain bike I bought for myself at the time, from new, was a 91 DB Apex).

I always thought it a good choice - very solid, decent, perhaps on the heavy side, but then he was reasonably tall so would have had a larger frame. Loved the colour and paintjob. Always seemed a cooler bike than my Apex, although I didn't regret my choice.

Re:

It has heavy tyres on that Intend to replace, but as it stands, it weighs in at 29lbs. I should be able to shed a couple of pounds me thinks!

Re: Re:

Gaddmeister":14d02q2y said:
It has heavy tyres on that Intend to replace, but as it stands, it weighs in at 29lbs. I should be able to shed a couple of pounds me thinks!
I always used to think they looked a little heavier than the more simple / traditional frames of their peers. But then that was just on pure looks, and I always thought they looked bomb-proof.

Bikes got that bit lighter as you headed into the mid 90s, but the thing was, these slightly heavier beasts from the early 90s - none ever let me, or anybody I knew, down. We just rode the things, there was never any dramas about cracks or things breaking.

Re:

The paint job looks great with those components. Although that saddle would be more of a pain job if I tried to ride it...

Re: Re:

PurpleFrog":3fac4ct5 said:
Although that saddle would be more of a pain job if I tried to ride it...
"...like sitting on a razor blade. Maybe next year, son."

"I were right about that saddle, though."

Yellow pages adverts, good for all the nostalgic memories in life!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCUN8eJancQ[/youtube]

Back