Henry Lloyd bike history

Have you tried messaging them via their Facebook page?

This website is about as close I get to interacting online relating to "social" media. I will try kicking the cobwebs off my f-book account and see if I can remain calm and collected while dealing with the f-book foolishness.

In the meantime I received a response from another local and his friend who worked at Lloyd's shop:
(djnotts) "Mick’s surname was Polish, something like Cziorka, not White, hence the nickname “Chalky”. I met Mick when he worked at Freewheel and he lived somewhere near me (Carlton Hill). He had built a few frames, I think when between Lloyd's and Freewheel. I sometimes saw him on a tandem with his wife.
A good mate of mine worked at Lloyd's as Saturday lad in '70s and was a Clarion member. All before my time in Nottingham. I'll try and forward some of this discussion to my mate Gary C."

(Gary C.; I assume) "In my years of helping in my early days Henry sold mainly Holdsworth, Knight and the odd Paragon from Andy Bone.
I was never aware he put his own name to any custom build in my junior membership days with Notts and Derby Clarion. As He turned 70 we still carried on with the Sunday easy rides often and in all weathers.
The business closed in 1986 , Chalky didn't last 5 mins in his ownership and was very unhelpful as I remember.
Henry became very weak
And if I remember it changed hands early 82.
So dating that frame I would guess 82-86?
Looks to have Pongo Braithwaite influence in lugs (Aende)"

Note: Alan "Pongo" Braithwaite generally had holes and slots cut into lugs/tubes. Although the framebuilder may have been influenced by Pongo and similar builders, I certainly do not think it is a Pongo built frame.

So now I am leaning towards it being made in '86 only due to the frame stamp, but it is getting very conclusive through anecdotal evidence that:
1) Henry Lloyd evidently did not build frames, and certainly not this one if he ever did build frames (due to his age at the time). There is still a possibility that Lloyd himself had frames made to order which he badged; and which may have occurred prior to "Chalky", et al. taking over the business circa '82.
2) The frame was probably made circa '82-'86 while the shop was still in operation, but frame still may have been made out of house and badged by the shop, or have been made in the late 70s. It may have been that they were trying to incorporate their "own" brand into the business to help waning sales and/or had a small number of frames built as a marketing ploy to have their shop name out riding the roads and tracks. I find it odd that if the shop had frames badged as Lloyd bikes why they are not being found for sale. It is either an indicator that people are holding onto them with their dying hands, or that they are a rara avis and not to be readily found due to very low numbers being built/badged.
3) "Chalky" did build some frames, but it is unknown when he did it (while at Lloyd's shop, after closing the shop, and/or during his time at Freewheel. When he was building frames, did he ever badge a frame under his own name?

I spoke with an old friend yesterday and asked him if he knew whether or not frames were actually built at Henry Lloyds shop in the 1980s, he was not aware of any frames with the Henry Lloyd name, but Francis and Mick did fit a new top tube to his 1950s RRA in about 1984. He still has it in his loft - although I don't know what condition it's in now!
RRA fixed.jpg

@3wheeler7 Thank you for the continued info. At least we know Mick was present at the shop during 1984 and it supports the fact that the business was open until circa 1986.

Another comment:
(BigT @ CyclingUK; from July 2009) "A GOOD CYCLE SHOP in the NEWARK / NOTTINGHAM or LINCOLNSHIRE:
All of the decent bike shops in Newark seem to have closed down. You could try the Hawk Cycles place on the corner just down from the Castle, or Zone Cycle Centre (I've heard of it but never been).
Otherwise it's a trip to Nottingham or Lincoln, I suspect. I bought my tourer from Freewheel. Ask for Mick Cziorka (also known as Chalky) if you go there. He knows his stuff."
I know this is getting a little off tangent with Mick's history, but I figure we might as well attempt to consolidate the info regarding Henry Lloyd, Mick, and company. It might also might awaken memories in reference to this frame and the personalities surrounding it.
I am starting to think that this frame and the track frame may have been more for marketing/advertising than as a realistic reoresentation of what the shop supplied on a regular basis.
If this frame was built in '86 and the shop closed in '86 then it may have been a last ditch attempt to get their name some more recognition or it was made as a display frame.

Last edited:
@3wheeler7 Thank for the continued info. At least we know Mick was present at the shop during 1984 and it supports the fact that the business was open until circa 1986.

Another comment:
(BigT @ CyclingUK; from July 2009) "A GOOD CYCLE SHOP in the NEWARK / NOTTINGHAM or LINCOLNSHIRE:
All of the decent bike shops in Newark seem to have closed down. You could try the Hawk Cycles place on the corner just down from the Castle, or Zone Cycle Centre (I've heard of it but never been).
Otherwise it's a trip to Nottingham or Lincoln, I suspect. I bought my tourer from Freewheel. Ask for Mick Cziorka (also known as Chalky) if you go there. He knows his stuff."
I know this is getting a little off tangent with Mick's history, but I figure we might as well attempt to consolidate the info regarding Henry Lloyd, Mick, and company. It might also might awaken memories in reference to this frame and the personalities surrounding it.
I am starting to think that this frame and the track frame may have been more for marketing/advertising than as a realistic reoresentation of what the shop supplied on a regular basis.
If this frame was built in '86 and the shop closed in '86 then it may have been a last ditch attempt to get their name some more recognition or it was made as a display frame.
Fascinating stuff. So much knowledge out there - not least on here!

I sent an email (address was listed on their FB page) to Clarion CC (Notts), but no reply after one week. I'll try again in another week and then just let it rest and go with the info I have already.

My biggest obstacle at this point is getting decals for the frame. Even though it is in very good condition overall; areas that are rough really need to be repainted properly: stripping, prepping, primer, etc.; and then I still need to be able to match the paint color. Easier to do a complete strip of it and full repaint; but without decals I would rather keep it as is while just doing some basic touch-up and preservation until I can find decals.

Sorry to hear you've not managed to make contact, I'll keep asking around.

H Lloyd (the decal people) should be able to make the decals, or you could try " I Say Ding Dong"
https://www.isaydingdong.co.uk/
I've bought from them in the past, no idea of the costs for custom jobs though.

Was just doing a bit of research after collecting what was described as an unknown track bike today. After a very interesting conversation with the seller it is apparently a track bike built by "Chalky" for himself with the until recently owner buying it in the early 90s. Hardly used since by the look of it. Will post a few pictures when i get a few taken.

Here are a few photos of my track bike. It is not badged up as a Henry Lloyd. It does not have any frame numbers. Apparently "Chalky" made this for himself. I was told he only made 30 to 35 frames. The last one he built with a mixed selection of lugs.

Attachments

• 20231203_104424.jpg
    20231203_104424.jpg
    752.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20231203_104432.jpg
    20231203_104432.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20231203_104435.jpg
    20231203_104435.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231203_104441.jpg
    20231203_104441.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231203_104444.jpg
    20231203_104444.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231203_104447.jpg
    20231203_104447.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231203_104452.jpg
    20231203_104452.jpg
    484.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231203_104455.jpg
    20231203_104455.jpg
    524.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231203_104459.jpg
    20231203_104459.jpg
    606.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20231203_104515.jpg
    20231203_104515.jpg
    726 KB · Views: 12
Hello Jesper, the frame you have belonged to me until couple of months back when I sold it as part of a job lot of frames along with the pale blue track frame. After 60 years of accumulating cycling stuff I have decided to actually have an extensive cull!
I purchased your frame from Chalky after Henry's shop closed in '88. He built frames in the workshop behind the shop and they were almost all built to order and mainly for club riders. He only built around 35 in total and the one you have was, as you suspected, probably built as a showpiece, but when the shop closed it became available to buy. As it was my size and I loved the fancy lugwork I had to have it, and built it up to ride. I rode it for about 12 years but then moved on to a Condor 753 and the Henry Lloyd frame has languished in the shed since then.
It had many admirers in its day and if you are able to get it restored that would be great. Unfortunately there are no decals available now but hopefully you can get them copied ? The paintwork was done at Bob Jackson, not sure if they are still going ? 861 does indeed indicate that it was the first one made in 86

Latest posts

Back