Helps to discover the exact Mongoose iboc model

Iboc-brazil

Retro Newbie
Good evening. People recently purchased a bicycle in very poor condition. Because I only wanted an old bicycle that didn't attract much attention, for reasons of danger of being mugged. The model of the court caught my attention because I had never seen a similar model. I decided to research and I was very excited to know that this bike was once a good bike even more compared to the level of bikes that we had available here in Brazil at that time (93 to 95y, I imagine).

But I have a problem defining her exact model, she is green, she has Mongoose Iboc adhesive, the rest is off. The fork is Rock Shox Quadra 21r. I'll post some pictures soon.
Sorry if I didn't describe it very well, I don't speak English. I am using the translator to assist me.

Re:

Photos

Attachments

• iboc-1.jpeg
    iboc-1.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,123
  • iboc-2.jpeg
    iboc-2.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 1,124
  • iboc-3.jpeg
    iboc-3.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,123
  • iboc-4.jpeg
    iboc-4.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,124
  • iboc-5.jpeg
    iboc-5.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 1,123
I have an early IBOC Sport, 1989/90. Great bike. I have looked at yours and cannot say with certainty, but I think it is a IBOC Zero G Pro from 1994. I think some components have been changed but if you are sure some Shimano component is original you will find a date code on it. Two letters. First letter=year. S is 1994. Second letter=month. A is Jan, B is Feb etc. Both front and rear gear mechanisms will probably be marked on the back. Hope this helps!

lensmansteve":jgovreao said:
I have an early IBOC Sport, 1989/90. Great bike. I have looked at yours and cannot say with certainty, but I think it is a IBOC Zero G Pro from 1994. I think some components have been changed but if you are sure some Shimano component is original you will find a date code on it. Two letters. First letter=year. S is 1994. Second letter=month. A is Jan, B is Feb etc. Both front and rear gear mechanisms will probably be marked on the back. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the tips, I will check the Shimano parts, I know that the gearbox is not original. I consulted some catalogs, but Zero G has a different frame.

Yes, sorry, that was my best guess. Zero G were Tange Superlite steel or bonded carbon fibre frames perhaps, not aluminium. Sorry can't help you more. Maybe others will see the post and know better.

Re:

Hi Iboc-Brazil. I had a Iboc zero g as well. Seat stays were more traditional, not the “mono stay” you have. Steel frame on mine. Looking through old magazines seem to tell me it’s iboc comp sx, with that seat stay and rounded rear dropout area. Bonded aluminum frame that gives it that smooth carbon look at tube ends. Hope I was helpful and not too confusing. Oh, the year was 1995.

Re:

You were all very helpful. It was a great help. I really fell in love with this bike. Because it was a pleasant surprise, I bought it for a rubbish price, I didn't expect it to be a bike like that. That would make me want to restore. I just intended to keep it working.

Thank you so much for your help.

You're very welcome. I know the feeling you describe of buying a cheap bike, and feeling it was made for you.
It is perhaps a magic bike for you!
Happy travelling!

Re:

Ha, this is great. My coworker brought over a very similar Mongoose frame for me to remove the BB and headset. As best as I could tell his was a 93 or 94 IBOC Comp. Has the exact same bonded rear seat stays and funky rear drop outs.

Back