Help with campagnolo centaur 10sp RD capacity

theup_cyclist

Dirt Disciple
Need the wisdom of the retrobike members.

Currently running campagnolo centaur carbon 10 speed groupset Ultratorque QS era: 53/39 chainset with 11-25 cassette.
I'm thinking about some easier gearing for the hills and seems like the cheapest option would be to get a 13-29 cassette.

I've done a little googling around short cage RD and capacity and officially looks like 26/27 is max on the cassette, but anecdotal chat of managing a 29 with a 53/39 (capacity = 30).
I don't tend to cross chain.
Any thoughts whether it's worth trying for the cost of £50 for a cassette plus a 10spd chain (i'll make sure I size it properly)

OR
Should i just fork out for a compact 50/34 chainset around the same era ( I believe it's mid 2000s)

Thanks!
p.s. to preempt the comments about just pedalling harder - I have a chronic R knee injury, so need to try avoiding mashing as much as I can

I think you can use a 29, but please don't buy on my say-so, I've never done it first hand
I would look for that compact chainset regardless. Unless you are racing, or really wanting to keep an old bike authentic, it's the way forward for a rider in a hilly area, and we're all not getting younger

Need the wisdom of the retrobike members.

Currently running campagnolo centaur carbon 10 speed groupset Ultratorque QS era: 53/39 chainset with 11-25 cassette.
I'm thinking about some easier gearing for the hills and seems like the cheapest option would be to get a 13-29 cassette.

I've done a little googling around short cage RD and capacity and officially looks like 26/27 is max on the cassette, but anecdotal chat of managing a 29 with a 53/39 (capacity = 30).
I don't tend to cross chain.
Any thoughts whether it's worth trying for the cost of £50 for a cassette plus a 10spd chain (i'll make sure I size it properly)

OR
Should i just fork out for a compact 50/34 chainset around the same era ( I believe it's mid 2000s)

Thanks!
p.s. to preempt the comments about just pedalling harder - I have a chronic R knee injury, so need to try avoiding mashing as much as I can
I can confirm that it works fine. I use 29T cassettes on both my Centaur 10 speed bikes with a short cage derailleur and 53/39 chainset. I’ve used this set up with Ergos and DT shifters without issue. I use Ultegra 10 speed chains and Miche cassettes.
🦆

53/39 Record, 29/13 cassette, long-cage Centaur mech, Centaur f/m, Centaur 10spd brifters, KMC 10spd chain all plays nicely. The chainset is swapped out while I had the bearings replaced on a Centaur carbon U/T and that worked fine (also 53/39) if that helps :)
Edit: this is a centaur cassette but have used Miche as @Ducky suggests with no issues either.

Attachments

• 8E643421-9D58-49C8-AE69-7E76A6C174AC.jpeg
    8E643421-9D58-49C8-AE69-7E76A6C174AC.jpeg
    493.3 KB · Views: 5
  • CDFEA227-B1ED-4F2A-A8D0-A5785ACBE572.jpeg
    CDFEA227-B1ED-4F2A-A8D0-A5785ACBE572.jpeg
    432.3 KB · Views: 5
I have used a centaur short cage mech with 13-29 without issues and also with a 12-30 campag 10 speed cassette again without issues with a double chainset. I have also used the same mech 1x on my cross bike for many years with a shimano 11-36 cassette.

I'm not using centaur 12-30 cassette any more. I would be happy to sell it if it's of interest to you. It's in great shape - i'd guess only a few hundred miles on it. £45 posted. I can take a picture later if you're interested.

Rich

I have used a centaur short cage mech with 13-29 without issues and also with a 12-30 campag 10 speed cassette again without issues with a double chainset. I have also used the same mech 1x on my cross bike for many years with a shimano 11-36 cassette.

I'm not using centaur 12-30 cassette any more. I would be happy to sell it if it's of interest to you. It's in great shape - i'd guess only a few hundred miles on it. £45 posted. I can take a picture later if you're interested.

Rich
thanks wynne but i've already bought a 13-29 and figure it might be better than a 12-30 in terms of derailleur capacity (6 vs 8 ).
appreciate the offer though, and thanks everyone for the input! i'll let you know how I get on with it!

Ditto, I've been running 10 speed Chorus 53\39 with Record 11-25 casette and chain and Centaur short-cage mech for years, and it works flawlessly.

Ditto, I've been running 10 speed Chorus 53\39 with Record 11-25 casette and chain and Centaur short-cage mech for years, and it works flawlessly.
That's my original set-up, but for the hills, I want to try a bigger cassette (13-29) with the Centaur short-cage mech...

Back