Help wanted with Campagnolo gear issue.

Caadhead2018

Dirt Disciple
I have an issue with a bike im putting together using various Campag parts that I cannot figure out, I’m more of a Shimano guy really but I have built up Campag stuff before with no issues. So i have a gen 2 Veloce 9 speed shifter, clearly marked 9 speed above the lever, that only clicks 7 times so in effect giving you 8 speeds. Its connected to a Xenon rear mech, later style without the Shimano style b tension screw so I'm assuming correct cable pull ratio between the 2. So with a 9 speed Campag cassette it not only just shifts 8 speeds it also doesn’t index correctly with the 8 sprockets. Its as if it the shifter has earlier 8 speed internals, is that possible? Am I missing something?

Os the shifter used? It sounds like either the index ring or spring, or both, need replacing

Os the shifter used? It sounds like either the index ring or spring, or both, need replacing
Yeah its all used stuff, I can’t understand how the number of clicks can be wrong and the actual spacing, its indexing is as if it is 8 speed, ok in some gears but awful in others, unfortunately I have no Campag 8 stuff to try it with.

It's before my time so I don't know. I only moved over to campag from shimano when it was 10 speed.
Although I have heard others mentioning it before.

bear in mind the first click from the smallest sprocket does not feel like the other more obvious clicks, it's duller, and it almost feels like an overshift in use, i have had people mistake this for not being a shift, but yes the internals could also have been changed to run a different ratchet, i have had it done myself. or it could simply just be worn.

my advice is click the shifter all the way down, pull the cable through the rear mech hand tight, don't pull the cable tight with pliers, then shift once, that shift should only have a dull click, after that it should have more positive obvious clicks per gear change.

8s was offered in both the original "pointy top" levers and in the later, post 2000 style more rounded levers.
Technically there were two versions of the 1993-2000 lever, the earliest ones without and later ones with, a helper spring at the back of the lever assembly. The ones without the helper spring are all 8s. Those with a helper spring were offered in both 8 and 9s. The internals were all interchangeable between levers of this generation in 8 & 9s, but not with the "non helper spring" version - here there was limited interchangeability.

The carry over into the rounded-top levers was on 8, 9 & 10s versions.

Until 2002, the internals in all these levers were interchangeable with a couple of small variations, according to whether the internals rotated on a brass bushing or ballbearings.

In 2002, Xenon and Mirage changed to a different system (Escape) in the 9s versions. This was later expanded to 10s as well.

If the first click on the lever is "soft" as Jonnyboy666 suggests, then yes, just clicking through the index stops with no cable attached or with minimal tension on the cable will show only 7 apparent clicks and the indexing will be all over the place because you won't be correctly pre-loading the tension in the RD spring.

On the other hand, at the SC and in shops across the land, 8 and 9s levers often got their internals swapped around and used levers from EBay etc are frequently levers that have been serviced, modified etc - we see a lot of them at the SC where we can tell they don't have their original cable ratchet bushings in them.

The cable ratchet bushing, which in all levers except Escape-type (or much more recently, 2012 onwards, PowerShift-type) is the part that sets the indexing (it's the part that the cable is anchored into) is labelled. Unfortunately, the marking faces "towards" the rest of the assembly when it's in place and can only be seen on removal.

Put simply, if there's no marking, it's 8s. More recent ones are marked 8, 9 or 0 depending on 8, 9 or 10s.

If a "click count" isn't, for any reason, definitive, then stripping this part out and taking a look will tell you for sure if the lever internals have been swapped around.
Last - remember that in 2000, Campagnolo changed all the lever pull ratios, relative to the RD. If the RD has a B Screw, it's the old type, with a different pull ratio to the later ones where the relative tensions on the upper and lower pivot springs were set by the "H Screw" on the jockey cage. The later version RDs do not index correctly with earlier lever versions.

Back