Help me decide, XTR confusion !!

KernzyP

Retro Newbie
Hey guys.
Again, I thought I'd ask some experts for their knowledgeable opinions.
I'm having trouble deciding or at least KNOWING what derailleur to use.
I have an Exage 300 LX (long cage) rear derailleur, and it's bashed and twisted to hell, as is my hanger, although, still works! It came off my old Marin Palisades !! :)
I bought a new hanger and two replacement used XTR's from Ebay. An RD M971, and a M986. Pretty sure the M986 is a medium cage. How do I tell? Very similar, but one is shorter, somewhat.
I prefer a long cage, but the seller sold the M986 with a 10 speed cassette, and said they worked together.
My bike is an 8 speed freewheel MTB.
I love the look of the M971, but the M986 has been fitted with a "Oneup RAD" green cage, which matches my bikes colour, which is nice.
971 is a 9 speed, 986 is a ten speed. I've been looking, and people say they will both work with my 8 speed freewheel. Is that true? I just ordered a new 8 speed chain, too.
It's not like the 1990's when we could swap almost anything with anything. It was either exage, or it wasn't!!
Now it's a damn scientific equation !!
Your advice will be well received. I'm already grateful for being around you guys.
Thank you very much in advance.
All the best,
Kernzy.

P.s., Even finding the correct hanger took me two days!! I'm old, now, just started riding again while suffering with PTSD. Pimping it up to increase exercise attraction.
Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_0684.JPG
    IMG_0684.JPG
    361.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0686.JPG
    IMG_0686.JPG
    336.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0690.JPG
    IMG_0690.JPG
    642.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0691.JPG
    IMG_0691.JPG
    547.4 KB · Views: 5
Out of interest, the Exage derailleur has been spun up vertical into my spokes a couple of times. I had to take off my hanger, and bang it straighter with my D-lock on the edge of a kerb!! Otherwise, walk home 3 miles. Also had to bend the derailleur back a couple of times. Amazing it still works. Happened a couple of times, lost a spoke when it happened at high speed. Very scary for back wheel to lock up in London traffic, after hearing that spoke twanging "steel harp" chorus, lol :)

@STILL_ALIVE

HAHAAA!! Just realised, I very well needed the DORK DISC, LMAO!!

Attachments

• cat phil.jpg
    cat phil.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 2
  • fine.PNG
    fine.PNG
    378.3 KB · Views: 2
  • high5.jpg
    high5.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 2
Back