Help identifying the year please (Orange Prestige content)

elcap

Dirt Disciple
I have recently been given a 90's Orange Prestige, full XT in black.

It is my latest project to strip, powder coat and bring back to life.

Most of the gear is working fine, if a little worn. Needs new rims, but I think I will get modern rims and transfer the decal from the old ones to them. Needs a post too and a saddle.

I could do with some help identifying the year of this model, I think it is pre '93 as the graphics took a more modern twist after this.

Also, does anyone know who would have these decals? I have heard of a wonderful person called gil_m on here who can help.

Anyway, this is the only photo I have for now, any help would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone can point me to any magazine scans with pictures of this bike for reference, that would be amazing!

PAy1EswzcPAFuG1P2

Re:

Here you go :D

Looks quite early to me but an expert will probably be along shortly ;)

Attachments

• 9CE3239C-83BE-42C3-BE15-D64091BC99BF_preview.jpeg
    9CE3239C-83BE-42C3-BE15-D64091BC99BF_preview.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 651
Re:

Is that the bike above? If so it's earlier than a 93 as those are the classic Prestige decals that were used around 90/2. The point where the seat tube meets the seat stay suggest it's a 91 or 92. Gil defo has those on file but it looks in decent shape me? Will it not just clean up?

If you decide to part with it I would be interested as I've always wanted a Prestige with those decals. :cool:

Ok, brill thanks for all the help and links to the catalogue.

So we are looking 92 then. Frame is very rusty in some places and was pretty bad under some of the decals, so the paint is slowly coming off. I have had to sand away a lot of rust as I thought there was a hairline crack at one point, but it was just a line of rust.

The picture does not really indicate how bad the frame is. However, so far it is looking ok when down to bare metal so it will be off to the powder coating place for a lovely gloss black finish and then get some decals.

Anyone recommend a good basic silver rim which looks like older Mavics?

How does one contact Gil on here then?

Re:

I could be wrong, but I think the finish should be satin rather than gloss. I'd check first, brocklander is sure to know.

Back