Help identifying frame

Tootyred

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Hi to all you road lovers. As dirt junkie, im not very up on retro road bikes, so was hoping somebody might help me with a bit of info.

This bike belonged to a mates father, its got a 1982-84 ax durace groupset, wich may help with the frame date ( or not!).

The frame has a very distinctive aero downtube and seat tube. Also note the position of the shifters and the seat stay junction with the seat tube.

Any thoughts? We have racked our brains, but come up with naught.

Cheers guys

Attachments

• Frame-1.jpg
    Frame-1.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Bottom Bracket.jpg
    Bottom Bracket.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 31
Hi to all you road lovers. As dirt junkie, im not very up on retro road bikes, so was hoping somebody might help me with a bit of info.

This bike belonged to a mates father, its got a 1982-84 ax durace groupset, wich may help with the frame date ( or not!).

The frame has a very distinctive aero downtube and seat tube. Also note the position of the shifters and the seat stay junction with the seat tube.

Any thoughts? We have racked our brains, but come up with naught.

Cheers guys
Any frame number's ? This could help someone identify it.

No. None that we can find. But it has had a very thick coat of powder.

Could it be a one off?

No. None that we can find. But it has had a very thick coat of powder.

Could it be a one off?
I doubt it. Maybe include a photo of where the seat tube and seat stays meet, It looks unusual in the first image and may be an indication of who built it.

My thoughts are it could be a Raleigh SBDU frame. I have an incredibly rare lugged Raleigh SBDU with aero oval profile tubes and your frame may share some similar features though would like to see some better close ups of the front & rear dropouts, seat clamp lug and bb shell.

I will see if i can request some more. But having just looked at the sbdu timeline, the things i can see on the frame, stays, fork crown fit with the developments for early to mid eighties,.

I will see what can find.

Should there be a frame number on the bb or is it somewhere else...?

If it is an SBDU frame, the SB prefix number should be on the underside of the bottom bracket shell on the ends where the cups screw in. This number may be covered by the powder coating which can be very thick on the underside of the shell. Are there any small indents near the cups also?. There should also be a number on the steerer tube. Does it have any bottle cage mounts?

Just one more thing...you may know already, does the seat tube go from oval shaped to round at the top to accept a standard round seat post as mine does.. it's certainly a fantastic looking machine.. cheers VC 👌

Back