Helicopter tape?

Yogi bear

Retro Guru
Or similar product.

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff or what do you use?
Is it soft and easily pliable around curves and bumps or quite stiff?
Ive seen the price of the 3M tape which seems pretty bloney expensive. There must be a non brand named version which will do a similar job.
Im wanting to protect some crank arms etc.

Tia

Just have a search on eBay for frame protection tape, there are some cheaper alternatives. You do get what you pay for though. As for fitting, use plenty of heat, hairdryer ideally.

I use sheets of fake carbon fibre vinyl, brushed steel vinyl or to be honest any vinyl I've got in the store if it's the right colour (I have clear as well, but meh). also be known to use aluminium tape (HVAC ducting tape).
I'm looking at my winter bike now, with it's bits of CF vinyl protection and it's still looking fine 5 years after fitting, although it appears that it isn't in the right place anymore since I changed the cables and shortened them up a tad (5 months ago). :)
a sheet of vinyl that's big enough to make hundreds of the little protective stickers will cost you less than a fiver.
Malt is right though, hairdryer is a must. any vinyl you use must be cast not calendered otherwise it won't conform.

Just have a search on eBay for frame protection tape, there are some cheaper alternatives. You do get what you pay for though. As for fitting, use plenty of heat, hairdryer ideally.
Yeah, had a search for helicopter tape. Had £25 worth in the basket but not sure whether it would be what I was expecting it to be and do as I wanted.

I got some from chain reaction years ago its a little thinker so even with heating and ipa to degrease the area some bits did lift on the curves. but its all brand depentant really i use the zefal stuff now much better.

Back