Head tube

When you tell me the best length for a piece of string and why, I'll have a go at answering the post

How tall are you ?
Good point. I was 6'1" - now ... less. Perhaps my aesthetic appreciation for the classic double diamond frame with a straight top tube stems from a more exalted perspective. I've seen smaller frames which appear perfectly proportioned. Just wondering if designers have a "classic" formula they adhere to or sometimes get tired of getting it right. Frames with elongated head tubes look odd - as do those with little or no space between tubes at the join - stilted and stunted, in that order.

Consider:
Integrated or non-integrated bearings and the associated stack (or lack of)
Quill or Aheadset and the ability to raise the stem
TT, road racing or endurance geometry
BB drop

I find that ultimately stack height is more important than anything for a paper fit exercise. With integrated bearings and me being 5’10” (176cm) the minimum head tube length for me is 170mm.

Dave Moulton wrote a few, articles on frame geometry for classic steel after he moved to the USA, I'll have a Google.

Larger frames are not as stiff as smaller frames. Buy one that fits and the head tube will be in proportion, unless you've opted for something unusual.

Back