Harry Hall or Geoffrey Butler. One has to go.

Jiveman60

Dirt Disciple
I'm building a day to day bike. I want it to be nice. Anyway I got two projects at the same time.
A 541st Harry Hall complete bike but 1/2" too big.
And a Geoffrey Butler ex team 731os frame only. Which is an inch too small.
Budget is for a re paint and tyres that's it.
I'm leaning towards the Hall, but the GB is a bit special.
What would you do?

I'm building a day to day bike. I want it to be nice. Anyway I got two projects at the same time.
A 541st Harry Hall complete bike but 1/2" too big.
And a Geoffrey Butler ex team 731os frame only. Which is an inch too small.
Budget is for a re paint and tyres that's it.
I'm leaning towards the Hall, but the GB is a bit special.
What would you do?
IMHO it is a lot easier to make a slightly too small frame fit than a slightly too big, and the GB being an ex team bike is a massive bonus.

IMHO it is a lot easier to make a slightly too small frame fit than a slightly too big, and the GB being an ex team bike is a massive bonus.
Indeed. I'm thinking of stepping it down to take some nice 7 speed stuff I have, dt shifters etc. Because it's 731 it's 92 to 94, just can't afford period STI stuff.

Keep the GB, a too small is easily sorted but larger to smaller isn't so comfy. The smaller frame will handle better too. Plenty of HH frames around and nothing special, unless it is one if Harry's and not a farmed version, as they were later on.

Last edited:
Depends on the sort of ride you want. My experiences of these two tube sets are that they are generally built into relaxed geometry, long-wheelbase touring frames (531st) and race-ready, responsive ‘go faster’ geometry frames (731os).
I’ve had a lot of Reynolds frames and I rate 731OS very highly. It’s fast and responsive without being thrashy.

I agree with this. Only proviso is if you are on the bubble size wise, going larger might not be a big deal. Particularly if its an undersquare frame.

Smaller frame size means better handling on twisty turns & onion downhills & will be more responsive & lively.. the GB should be your best set up with longer stem good long seatpost

Back