Happy new year my Arse.

We're getting to that age where what seemed good is now 30 years ago and it feels like theres few positives to look out for

Trying to re-enact Mayhem 2019 in the living room failed badly. Upset the missus quite a bit.

Silly me puked the night away due to being stupid with spiced rum - have vowed never to go near anything distilled ever again (except cider, thats a health drink)

There is still a huge inflatable santa to look at.

Attachments

• huge santa.jpg
    huge santa.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,504
Re: Re:

CassidyAce":1bkiwrqp said:
jonnyboy666":1bkiwrqp said:
. . .
outside of the bike trade in my personal life, my mum has developed dementia which is steadily getting worse, this has caused a huge amount of stress on my dad, both in their 80's, i'm worried about both obviously, mum can be so harsh now as a result of a personality change . . .
My mother has it too, and we've been caring for her for the last four years: it seems to be a slowly developing form of Alzheimer's.

Ditto 3
We lost mum suddenly late in 2019 and she had been dad's defacto carer as his Alzheimer's worsened over the past 4-5years.
That left me and my 2brothers (2 of us live 3hrs and 5hrs away, which makes it harder) to deal with a cantankerous, belligerent, stubborn old refusenik who will never wash (and that was BEFORE he got it!!! :LOL: )

Then, in '20, 3 of my mates all decided they had had enough, and checked themselves out. 1 just before lockdown in Feb, and 2 between April and August. One of them who I was closest to and lived with for 5years in our single days, had 4kids. If I am honest, I often struggle to get my head round it and it
So yeah, 2020 can go F* itself right off

Keep smiling tho kids, and stay safe x

G

Re:

appreciate the comments and support guys, it's horrible isn't it, watching someone gradually slip away.

to quote the Kurgan:-

it's better to burn out than fade away!

when i pop my clogs i hope it's quick, and i hit the gates of heaven (if there is such a place!) with a smile on my face shouting "where's the bar?!"

2020 hasn't been great for us but there are many people who've got it worse, and I am thankful my wife and I still have our jobs and health.

The pandemic hasn't been all that bad here in Portugal, and I must admit I did enjoy the lockdowns and home working for while, if only for the empty streets for more tranquil cycling, and for the money I've saved from not buying coffees or snacks during my workday.

In 2020 finally had the time and motivation to get a money earning scheme working, something I'd been working towards on and off for over 15 years, but without much success until now.

Brexit is a bit of a sad event for us here, since I and my daughter are British. Despite everything that has come to pass, including the stress and anxiety it has given me, and how utterly different (and worse) the current Brexit is compared to what was sold to voters in the 2016 referendum, my mother still staunchly supports Brexit and wanted to know why I wasn't celebrating Brexit at 11 pm on the 31st of December. Brexit has become a religion now for some people, and there's no getting through to them now, I suppose.

Brexit has also meant it is no longer economical to order bike bits from UK shops, so goodbye CRC and SJS, but there are plenty of nearly as good stores in the EU (bike24 in Germany is even owned by Wiggle/CRC). Once things settle down a bit, I may try buying some retrobike parts from the UK to see whether they get through, but the chances are I will have to pay some kind of tax and duty on them, which will make my retrobike obsession a bit more expensive.

Leading up to 2020 I had been building up to participating in more ambitious endurance MTB events, and had planned to enter my first ultra marathon, as a prelude to entering the Tour Divide in 2021 or soon after. Obviously neither was possible due to Covid 19. Hopefully some MTB XC marathons will be allowed to go ahead this year.

I've also been wanting to meet up with some fellow retrobikers, at the Mayhem or elsewhere, maybe this year if the Covid thing permits.

I wish you all a happy, safe and prosperous 2021, filled with retrobike goodness.

Re:

Day 4 - another national lockdown in England.

All I can say is the humble bicycle is awesome, I plan to ride mine as often as possible in 2021 as it keeps me mentally and physically in shape.

SP

Re:

What will be, will be ...

Interestingly, during the earlier few months of 2020 my work required a 40 minute commute across this (poorly laid out) city, and the drive was almost a real pleasure - quite streets, light traffic ... a 'free flow of motion' ...

Of course, nowadays the traffic situation is as bad as it always had been before the lock-down, but my current commute (slightly shorter) somehow skirts around or past most of the worst of it.

2021 - I say BRING IT ON !!!

Re:

New year, new projects:

Ffxboxart.jpg

Back