Hand Painting a headtube?

otherself

GT Fan
Raleigh Fan
Feedback
View
My frame has ornate lugs so it's gonna be a pain to mask them and use a spray can.

I want to hand paint the head tube using a sable brush but don't know what paint is best. The frame has been powder coated and head tube rubbed down with fine grain sandpaper.

I've read that marine paint (boat paint) is best is this true?

You can buy a brush-on masking fluid, basically a form of latex I suppose, which you could brush paint/mask the awkward fiddly bits of the lugs. The rest can be masked with tape etc. It can be removed quite easily, sometimes by peeling it off or using whatever solvent the makers suggest.

The headtube could then be rattle-canned to a colour of choice.

Re: Re:

bagpuss":1hqmsvmd said:
Never heard of Masking fluid
Just learnt something new .Solves a similar issue for me .

Plenty on Amazon & ebay. most artist use a silicone applicator (looks like a brush) you can use a brush to good effect, but the brush is unlikely to survive.

People wot make plastic models (you know Tamiya, Airfix etc) use masking fluid so your local model shop should be able to help. Humbrol Maskol is what you're after, I'm told.

Answering for a friend, obvs. A cool cyclist wouldn't have a stash of part-built/unbuilt aircraft models in the loft. No siree.

ZG862":2qlps18u said:
People wot make plastic models (you know Tamiya, Airfix etc) use masking fluid so your local model shop should be able to help. Humbrol Maskol is what you're after, I'm told.

Answering for a friend, obvs. A cool cyclist wouldn't have a stash of part-built/unbuilt aircraft models in the loft. No siree.

No, but quite a few of us have a stash of unbuilt model railway kits put away for a rainy/self isolating day. :cool:

Maskol is what I use - but not often as I like to think I have a steady hand :roll:

Old Ned":2pt01mxa said:
I like to think I have a steady hand :roll:

...which reminds me: The conventional approach is to do lug lining (with said steady hand and long coach lining brush) after all the other paint layers have gone down (Maybe even after lacquer?), rather than masking the painted lug details and layering on top of them.

I can see the sense in masking too. Never even tried this either way so what the hell do I know. :shock:

Read all about lining in this post- viewtopic.php?f=12&t=247375

And I’m not sure that a sable brush is the best answer but find a big art supplier and ask them. (Sable is generally for water colour.) I think that the right paint will have more of an impact on finish- someone will have a better informed view but I’d be tempted to experiment with Humbrol enamel as its long drying time should allow brush marks to ‘gloss’ (unless they’ve changed the recipe).

Back