Half retro Klein Attitude.

chilled76

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys, new to the forum, joined up as I've just nearly finished getting my old retro Klein back up and running, it's one of the proper Kleins that were hand made in the states before Trek bought them out... has a right strange disc mounting system!

Well chuffed with it... Finished it with X9 and Thomson kit, Aireal hubs and Mavic rims with of course the rc36 stealths...

It was my Brothers bike years ago as it had the seatpost stuck and it was running V brakes with a mount that no one had seen in any of his LBS he let me have it to build up a cheap work hack... got chatting to a guy in my LBS and he just so happened to have a set of Hayes Mags disc out the back that were built for the Klein mount on his shelf with about 2" of dust on... what are the chances of that!!!! So decided to build it up with some decent (ish) modern parts.

Had to cut the post off flush and when measured the inside of it was 27.4mm... so got a Thomson post to fit which cost an arm and a leg in that size!, shame it wasn't 27.2 but hey ho.

it just needs a gear cable and a CK headset, XTR cranks and some Easton ea70 bars to finish it off properly! :)

Apologies for the poor photo's  :-\

Any info you guys could tell me about the year this was would be ace? the forks were fitted quite a few years after the bike was originally bought. Please don't flame me for fitting it with modern parts... I'm actually going to use it for peak rides etc so want it pretty reliable.

Cheers for looking,

Paul

p4pb6315858.jpg

p4pb6315899.jpg

p4pb6315836.jpg

p4pb6315829.jpg

p4pb6315931.jpg

p4pb6315923.jpg

p4pb6315918.jpg

p4pb6315911.jpg

p4pb6315882.jpg

:)

Doesn't look like an Attitude to me, looks more like a Pulse.
I've had a 2000 Attitude and the cables routed through the frame as i think all Attitudes did, plus the seatpost was 31.6mm.

Ridni":34rh58dt said:
I've had a 2000 Attitude and the cables routed through the frame as i think all Attitudes did, plus the seatpost was 31.6mm.

Looks like a 97 Pulse, the odd inbetween bike that had cable routing like a Trek/Klein but a headtube like a real Klein.

cant be a pulse as it has smooth welds. i am sure sure one of the late 1990s/early2000s attitudes had external cables.

stubbsy :D

Guys it's definitely an attitude, my brother brought it brand new and that's still the original paint and decals.... I think the following year or maybe two they then got bought out as he was chuffed he had a managed to get a 'proper' one, it's got the made in the USA sticker.

Ridni":tcxciq4t said:

The seat post that is stuck in and got cut flush is 31.6.... It's essentially acting as a shim down to 27.4 as the 31.6 corrosion welded itself in..... Ally frame and post was completely bonded

Ridni":2ty790jy said:

The seat post that is stuck in and got cut flush is 31.6.... It's essentially acting as a shim down to 27.4 as the 31.6 corrosion welded itself in..... Ally frame and post was completely bonded

its a post Trek Klein, pre Trek is 95 and before, i'm sure Trek only built these with external cables for 1 year and that was 98.

Back