GT STS XCR1000 - Fairly sure something is off with rear suspension geometry

All the new parts fit and make it work correctly. Thankfully.
Have pressurised the shock to about 200psi both ends which brings the marks into line nicely.
the closest off the shelf bushes i could buy to reline the dogbone would leave a 0.8mm gap in the middle which is what it looks like mine had anyway. the other option is to go over size and the sand 0.6mm off the length but you'd need to be accurate as they dont actually want to touch in the middle, they need to seat on the outside flange first.

Attachments

• IMG_6238.JPG
    IMG_6238.JPG
    598.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Good news all round then.

The bushes I found are 4mm deep whereas the originals were 6mm.

I found a bike shop whos website said they had 1 original bush at one store and 2 at another but after contacting them several times about them they said they couldnt find them and took them off their site!

You should be able to specify a G or Z series of these to work precisely
iglidur® G, sleeve bearing with flange, mm
They look like the BETD ones but different colour. The ones I found are the same as the original GT type, and half the price as the above.

When my new cranks turn up later this week gonna have my dogbone off and see how the BETD bushes are holding up to use.
I have enough of both types of bushes to have all four the same whichever I decide are doing a better job.

I've had my i-Drive apart this afternoon, the dogbone measures 64mm centre to centre.

I also measured two spares I have and they were the same size also.

While I had mine apart I had a look at the bushes and it looks like the BETD bushes are doing just as good a job as the original ones, although in this case the BETD ones are much newer so I guess time will tell.

I've had my i-Drive apart this afternoon, the dogbone measures 64mm centre to centre.

I also measured two spares I have and they were the same size also.

While I had mine apart I had a look at the bushes and it looks like the BETD bushes are doing just as good a job as the original ones, although in this case the BETD ones are much newer so I guess time will tell.
Ta, the 70mm one i bought claims to be for XCR 99 era and works exactly as expected.

Well done on getting a resolution. After having read all that I had two thoughts:

1) I really don't understand suspension
2) is it possible to design a system more complex than that one

When it works it works well though. Wonder why they shortened the dogbone?

I like the fact that they simplified the design over time, but from things I've read the newer design might not be as durable.

Back