GT RTS 2

Fathertime75

Retro Newbie
Morning I am finally starting to restore my GT that I have had 20 odd years, could do with a little help dating the frame it's decals had rts 2 in them but I bought it second hand from bike dealer and the receipt says rts 2. Any help would be appreciated cheer Benn. Frame number is SK6G01025

Re:

I don't know how to date them or the bikes in particular, but best guess is July 1996 (possibly getting into a 1997 model time).

That is first two is place that made them sort of thing, third the year and 4th the month.

I could be completely wrong.
Wait till somebody that knows the bikes and the serials comes along.

Edit
They may ask you to look at the right stay in the bottom picture, the dirty line that's just under the weld. Check it, could be a crack.
The other stay seems to have been rewelded at some point?

By stay, I mean stay bearing mount thingy.

Re:

That looks like a repair on the left,the weld bead should be neat like on the right.There appears to be surface prep work pre welding around the repair(scratches from wire wool).Looks like the left cracked and was repaired and the right is going that way too,it definitely looks like a crack.I wouldnt invest too much time or money into it.

Re:

A quick clean up to remove excess polish and yes I did have the frame repaired 14 years ago as I have owned it 20 + years! Love this bike that much don't want it to be coke cans yet! Original question still stands any information on its date and where it was made please cheers.

Nice. It's hard to decode the serial as I don't think there was any logic to them, unlike the ones used on the RTS, team and 1 variants which were USA made.

I got one of the early rts-2s back in 1992 iirc, I certainly rode it to school. That version was a bronze painted triangle with a black steel rear arm. The very last RTS frames were painted and didn't have a model number. I'd date yours to around 94/5 if I were to have to guess based on what I know, but I don't know everything so could be wrong.

Back