Good value friction thumb shifter?

Captain Vimes

Retro Guru
As a roadie, doing my first mountain bike restoration, I have a probably previously asked question. Why are all friction thumb shifters (right hand) either less than £10 tat, or more than £50 things of beauty? Is there a good value, good quality “does what it says on the tin” right hand friction thumb shifter out there.

Many thanks! 🙂

Last edited:
DX thumbies are great and usually go for £25-£30 on here. If someone has just a right hand one for sale then that would be less and in terms of function you won't get much improvement by spending more. I'd stick a wanted ad up for a RH DX thumbie and see if someone has a spare.

Actually, if you were looking for something cheaper, the 200GS (less than £10 tat) ones seem to operate fine in my experience, though granted I haven't ever had them fitted on a bike for long.

For pure friction shifters these are a copy of Shimano EM shifters

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
You can also get mounts (I have one by Pauls) that allow you mount roadie shifters on the handlebars. Obviously ergonomics may not be the best.

Hey, the Sunrace do the job, but not more than this and not close to Shimano XT or DX thumbies.

Great thumbies, and in my opinion better than Shimano are Microshift SL-T, because the are very precise and friction snaps nicely. If you ever tried those it's hard to convince you from something else.

I have used a few 8, 9 and 10speed ones and their have been all-polished or raw aluminum ones but also all-black variants.
Its just that they are very hard to get.
Nowadays only 11 or 12 speed or bar end shifter seem to be on the market.

You have to keep your eyes open to get ones with less speed for older MTB derailleurs and cassettes. 9speed show up once in a while at ebay:

Back