Going tubeless recommendations

Re:

Tesa tape from ebay is what I used (several times now). Not had any problems with the wheels I've sorted. As for fluid, Stans is decent.

Re:

According to the spec sheet, the internal diameter of my rim is 23mm. Not taken the tyre off to measure but assuming that measurement is the distance between the walls.

Looking at the available rim tape widths, would I need 21mm.

Is the general idea that you run a few layers over the spoke holes and pop a valve through?

Re:

Maybe even 19mm but 21mm will be fine I think.

You only need one layer. Start just before the valve hole, go right round then finish just past so it doubles up over the hole. Then make a small cut and stick the valve through. Take the old rim tape off, give the wheels a good clean and leave them and the tape somewhere warm overnight before you fit. Don't worry about small creases in the tape when fitted either, the fluid gets everywhere and fills small gaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CfCuQV1yWA

Acoording to the above if the tyre you choose is a loose fit on the rim you should add a few extra layers of tape to make it tighter. So I would imagine its best to not use a tape that is narrower than the internal rim width.

Im a tubeless noob also but thought this seemed quite relevant. Hope it works out and looking forward to reading about your results :)

Ishaw - I am back after a mad time at work.

Right
Best I have found:
MucOff tape - same width as internal diameter or only 2-3mm less.
DT valves
Stan’s fluid
Schwalbe TLE tyres
Airshot tank
Sharp scissors
Thin straight needle pick
Inner tube
100ml syringe and flexible tubing

Why an inner tube? Well, makes tubeless work perfectly every time....

1 ultra-clean rim
2 overlap valve hole by 3 inches
3 pull tape away from you, holding rim between legs
4 pull tape very tight, press down every 6 inches
5 overlap hole again by 3 inches cut cleanly
6 you can do two layers, I don’t on tubeless rims
7 put pinprick hole in tape at valve
8 install tyre on one side, fully
9 install tube
10 locate tyre finishing at valve (!), pump to 60 psi or max psi if lower
11 leave overnight
12 remove inner tube and insert TL valve, wipe a little fluid on grommet
13 remove valve core
14 wipe rim with soapy water using 3cm paint brush
15 charge airshot to 100 psi and mount tyre - bang, bang, bang
16 remove airshot
17 insert 100ml fluid through valve or 120 for DH and mahoosive tyres
18 insert valve core
19 charge airshot to 100psi and mount tyre again
20 bounce tyre and wiggle it all over to put fluid in every place
21 leave overnight
22 inflate to desired pressure in the morning

Done. Never had a failure, even with secondhand rims and previously used tyres.

Re:

Just watched the video, seems straightforward enough. Will double check id of the rim bed and get some tape and fluid ordered.

Out of interest, how long does the fluid last on average before it goes off and needs redoing?

I've read lots and one advantage of tubeless appears to be weight saving, but is it really that much after valves and fluid vs a tube?

Re:

The only time I've had to change the fluid is when changing tyres. It lasts ages.

Honestly think most of you are over thinking it. Make sure the spoke holes are well covered, get something that will pop the tube on to the rim (not just a track pump, you need a airshot, Zefal thing I have, etc) and stick 100ml or so fluid in and bob's your uncle.

Re:

Oh, and you'll save a bit of weight but the best bit is when you get home, see some fluid leaking out and realise your ride would have been spoiled by a puncture.

Re:

The plot thickens. My wheels are red zone 5. Having just checked a site for width confirmation I read something that has me worried a standard tubeless strip won't work. The rim has a couple of drilled holes on the side. They are designed to work only with the 2-way fit kit which has something called a seeger ring used as the rim strip. Assume this caters for the holes in the rim?

I was about to pull the trigger but think this may throw a spanner in the works.

Can't find the correct fulcrum kit anywhere either.

Back