For Sale Gios Torino Super Record

BillT

Retro Newbie
I have a Gios Torino Super Record which has been in my possession since the early 1980s, although TBH It's been in my shed for the last 30 years or so. I'm never going to ride it again, and I'd like it to go to to a good home, as I'm downsizing and may no longer have a shed! I've little idea of it's monetary worth to an enthusiast, although I have some idea of what I've got! I'm here for some advice as much as anything, as I'm not sure what to do with it to ensure it goes to the right person. I care as much I suppose about its final destination as the price I'd get for it. Should I just whack it on ebay? If so, I'd appreciate some guide on what parameters would be best... I'm equally happy to put it on here, but again, I've no real idea of a guide price. It's got most of the classic features that I gather are expected of the bike. Strangely, it has Modolo rather than Campag brakes, although they have been their since its acquisition by me, so I'm sure they are original. I replaced the rims with Mavic MA40 clinchers soon after I bought it, as I was using it as an around-town bike at the time, believe it or not.
Here's some photos, as an idea of the bike and its condition... Your advice is appreciated. thank you

IMG_3267.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3268.jpeg
    IMG_3268.jpeg
    312 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3283.jpeg
    IMG_3283.jpeg
    387.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3269.jpeg
    IMG_3269.jpeg
    328.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3271.jpeg
    IMG_3271.jpeg
    368.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3275.jpeg
    IMG_3275.jpeg
    481.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3278.jpeg
    IMG_3278.jpeg
    479.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3281.jpeg
    IMG_3281.jpeg
    407.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3282.jpeg
    IMG_3282.jpeg
    372.6 KB · Views: 57
I have a Gios Torino Super Record which has been in my possession since the early 1980s, although TBH It's been in my shed for the last 30 years or so. I'm never going to ride it again, and I'd like it to go to to a good home, as I'm downsizing and may no longer have a shed! I've little idea of it's monetary worth to an enthusiast, although I have some idea of what I've got! I'm here for some advice as much as anything, as I'm not sure what to do with it to ensure it goes to the right person. I care as much I suppose about its final destination as the price I'd get for it. Should I just whack it on ebay? If so, I'd appreciate some guide on what parameters would be best... I'm equally happy to put it on here, but again, I've no real idea of a guide price. It's got most of the classic features that I gather are expected of the bike. Strangely, it has Modolo rather than Campag brakes, although they have been their since its acquisition by me, so I'm sure they are original. I replaced the rims with Mavic MA40 clinchers soon after I bought it, as I was using it as an around-town bike at the time, believe it or not.
Here's some photos, as an idea of the bike and its condition... Your advice is appreciated. thank you

View attachment 536728
Photographs of the complete bike will be good.

There were three generations according to this website https://steel-vintage.com/blog/2016/11/gios-torino-super-record/
and yours I think is going to be either 2nd or 3rd and looks very original with all the pantograph parts.
Is the 58 on the BB the frame size or part of the frame number?
It will definitely be desirable and sought after.

View attachment 536728

Also here's one that sold a couple of days ago on eBay
Which had an asking price of £1500 or offers but you can't tell what it actually went for from the listing.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
1. that was US not UK. 2. in much better condition - The OP one will need stripping down and repainting, new decals etc etc.

You may want to offer it here to someone that will appreciate it and took care of refurbishing it to its former glory. It would be good to see the whole bike though to give more accurate pricing

1. that was US not UK. 2. in much better condition - The OP one will need stripping down and repainting, new decals etc etc.

You may want to offer it here to someone that will appreciate it and took care of refurbishing it to its former glory. It would be good to see the whole bike though to give more accurate pricing
The asking price on the listing was $2,210 and approximately £1,596 according to the exchange rate on eBay.
This sale was highlighted as a guide to the OP as requested by them in their original post and yes the eBay bike does appear to be in better condition.

The OPs bike appears original and paint is only original once and by repainting it ,It would lose it's character and potentially some of it's value to collector's IMO.
I think it would also be very difficult to colour match the Gios blue.

Thanks everyone! I guess a picture of the bike was something of an obvious omission... so here's another 3 photos. I had an idea to restore it myself a few years back, but soon found myself out of my depth. However I did source some original bar tape, and a replacement wheel spike(?) and front derailleur, which had broken (also shown). Part of the offering, I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_3648.jpeg
    IMG_3648.jpeg
    727.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3649.jpeg
    IMG_3649.jpeg
    530.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3650.jpeg
    IMG_3650.jpeg
    607.1 KB · Views: 68
I concur, but we would never know the price paid :) Alas, I mate of mine is selling his for €1000, in much better nick, Super record groupset etc. etc. I'm all for retaining original paint, but sometimes you need to do the deed and refurb the bike, especially as it would be sad to see it to another 'collector' to gather dust. They need to be out on the road to be appreciated fully.

Matching Gios blue today with technology we have is not that of an issue, problem is that paint changes over time and even if OP gets some touch-up stuff (available via their online shop) directly from Gios it would be quite visible - I know as have done it myself and out of two frames, one seemed to be blending touch-ups much better than another for some reason. Always a dilemma what to do.

Nice bike though and if it was my size I'd made an offer. Good luck with whatever you decide to do (to OP)

Very nice bike !. I had one of these very 1980s upright geometry with the gold coins in the top of the fork crown . If its your size touch up the paint and keep it if you are going to ride it . If selling it ,the bike has some nice engraved " GT" components which enhance the value . A Campagnolo nuovo/super record rear mech and front mech with Campagnolo Record brakes would make a complete Campagnolo equipped bike which would also increase the value but you would have the extra cost of sourcing and paying for these components . A real class Italian bike made famous by the Italian Brooklyn team and the Belgian Roger De Vlaeminck . Selling the bike as it is on e-bay at a guess on a let it run auction you might get £400 to £600 more if open to international bidders and offering shipping , collection only would be less. If it was in the 55 to 57 range I would buy it alas its too big . Its a real gem and if you sell it I hope you get the best price and the buyer is happy to pay it .

It is very funny reading this as I ended up buying the bike from eBay. And here she is now. I agonised over whether to do a full refurb, but have just changed the cables, tyres and added the missing front mech. It is a lovely ride and I am very much enjoying owning it.

Attachments

• 20211124_104554.jpg
    20211124_104554.jpg
    676.7 KB · Views: 25
Back