Giant MCM carbon frame years

Senior Retro Guru
Afternoon retro fans.

Been looking at giant MCM carbon frames using Google, they nearly all show v-brakes prior to discs, I have just icked one up in team colours but with a rear canti cable hanger which seems quite rate. The only other I have found on Google lists it as an Asian only model?

Anybody shed more light on this, what year did they first release the MCM team frame.

1994 was the first year for the full carbon Giant Cadex frame. I do not know what these frames seperate from the MCM.

Re:

Managed to have a good look over this new to me frame.
Features: Rear cable stop for rear canti brakes.
Front mech has a bolt on bracket on seat tube.
No sighn of a frame number?

Here's the odd thing.
It turns out it's been repainted in team colours, yellow/blue/red, which is odd.
It has Tioga stem and head set (alchemy)
An alloy SKF bottom bracket with cups I have not seen before.
Xt front mech.
Xt V brakes m739
Midleburn cranks.
Renthal RC bars.

The repaint is not great, but still professional, like it needed the look without looking too close, but it's definitely been like it for a really long time.
Don't know if I'm annoyed or intrigued?

Afternoon retro fans.

Been looking at giant MCM carbon frames using Google, they nearly all show v-brakes prior to discs, I have just icked one up in team colours but with a rear canti cable hanger which seems quite rate. The only other I have found on Google lists it as an Asian only model?

Anybody shed more light on this, what year did they first release the MCM team frame.
I uploaded a couple of Giant brochures to the scans section - the team colours MCM was available as a frame only in the '97 range, and included a rear canti hanger. However the standard MCM was V-brake only.

i brought an all yellow frame in 1994 and have built it up over the years

View attachment 559483
Very nice, have you had that from new?
Seems strange not to have the rear canti hanger (unless it was removable?) as that frameset features in the '96 brochure WITH a rear canti hanger.
I'm keen to get hold of one of these myself, and would build it with V-brakes also.

yes brought the frame new in 94 and have upgraded it over the years.it had a removable canti hanger on the seat clamp that came with it,a polished alu one

Attachments

• spin mcm.jpg
    spin mcm.jpg
    609.4 KB · Views: 15
Very nice, have you had that from new?
Seems strange not to have the rear canti hanger (unless it was removable?) as that frameset features in the '96 brochure WITH a rear canti hanger.
I'm keen to get hold of one of these myself, and would build it with V-brakes also.

Attachments

• canti.jpg
    canti.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 8

that is the first mcm, it was also sold as "monex" which is the one i have, frame only now. its red with yellow gfx

the main diff is the earlier mcm frames are significantly heavier. im not sure when they changed though. probably when they switched to v's (97?) if you can weigh yours, the early ones are around 1.5-1.6kg, later ones are 1.25-1.3kg. i think last of the line got a bit lighter too.

Back