Giant Box One & Box Two, discuss..........

Nice one, the luv for the Giant Box is growing. It was like Christmas at my house last night, a load on new/used parts arrived from ebay!!! Just waiting on stickers then hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be ready to build. Will try & post a pic of the new/used parts before assembly. Looking forward to seeing some more pics of the various Giant Boxes as they are being built.

Hey Black, cool :) ...this is a marmite bike if the reaction on most forums is concerned, as its not really a proper DH/FR frame..seen more as an a first attempt by some....i also luv the modern DH/FR stuff...but it is a classic, and does have its faults like seat frames breaking off...
heres a pic of my build to date

Box frame 18.5" powdercoated white
rebushed the s/arm pivot
x fusion glyde shock with lockout
tora sl coil forks with poploc
homemade CNC stem anodised red
FSA carbon seatpost
FSA orbit MX headset
PZ racing QR's
NC 17 dirt seat
alex rim en24 deore hubs db ss spokes

still loads to fit got some 203 floating rotors, probably go with slx brakes
gonnna go single ring with a chain guide and close ratio cassette...will add pics as i go

SDC10218.jpg

Looking good Somer, just out of interest do you have the links to other forums that discuss the Giant Box bikes, as I can never find that much out about them just trawling the web?

Hi Black,
sorry mate missed ya post...i dont have any specific links, i have trawled the web too and piece together all the info i can find, i wish i had braced the seat stay but i found out too late...not bothered tho cos if it goes i will CNC something tricker to weld on anyway...

most articles just cover spec, and a few pics here and there, most pics go back to forums etc and i just follow the links...

its not hard to see the flaws in the frame design compared to todays bikes, but its just a toy for the trail centres to me..to take my kids too...not planning on a mega freeride, so i'm sure it will be fine...i am looking forward to all the Box builds..if i can help in any way just PM me, cheers, Somer

Only a few more bits to get before I start my build, here are a couple of shots looking more bike like now.......

012.jpg

015.jpg

Hope you like, next post she may even be fully built!!!

Finished the build over last w/e minus stickers, I went club Roost, Avid, Deore etc & here are some quick & dirty pics to see what you lot think.....

2012-04-22154231.jpg

2012-04-22154249.jpg

2012-04-22154223.jpg

2012-04-22154205.jpg

& as she was when purchased for around £30 off ebay....

2012-02-25151126.jpg

Giant Two - Gold - (2001) - Bottom Plastic Suspension Bushes

Love my old MTB. Bought it brand new at a Cycle Shop liquidation auction in 2001 for £285.00.

Struggling to find the large shamfered plastic bushes from the bottom suspension pivot. The back end wobbles about and it creaks something awful. :shock:

The full kit includes the metal parts, but they seem ok, It's the plastic bits that are worn out. Back in 2006 this kit cost £30

Hate to junk this bike for the sake of a suspension arm bush kit. Any help on this would be very appreciated.

This machine is my work horse, and I'd be stuck without it right now. I should have a replacement Muddy Fox seat in a couple of weeks ;) There's a story about the frame repair I'll share later.

Attachments

• IMG_7821-SuspensionCrankParts2.JPG
    IMG_7821-SuspensionCrankParts2.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 1,886
  • IMG_7818-Giant2Bike.JPG
    IMG_7818-Giant2Bike.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,886

Latest posts

Back