Getting shifty: 8 or 9 speed old bike options?

You could always build a strong wheel with a 7 speed free-hub for 130mm spacing and put 8 out of the 9 speed sprockets on it.

Warning though! There are compact and non-compact 7 speed freehubs, the later will not let you put an 11T sprocket. I think the last iteration of STX-RC 7 speed gruppo was a compact freehub if it helps.

Drop that shonky Deerhead rear mech! Suntour did well for a reason with their slant paralegrolgramam mechs until Shimano stole the patent/ idea/ purple quality street

9 shifts slicker than 8 simply due to the physics of the cogs being that much closer together and really does feel nicer out and about

Theres plenty of non shimano hardware for chains and cassettes that shift well and look good as well as longevity

Check the frame for chain clearance though as the chain may catch the rear stay in the bottom cog

You could always build a strong wheel with a 7 speed free-hub for 130mm spacing and put 8 out of the 9 speed sprockets on it.

Warning though! There are compact and non-compact 7 speed freehubs, the later will not let you put an 11T sprocket. I think the last iteration of STX-RC 7 speed gruppo was a compact freehub if it helps.
Just done that with an 8-from-9 fro the wife's bike. I ditched the 11T (11-32) and the next cog is 12T and has lockring serrations anyway. Fitted beautifully on a DX hub.

For the record, I kept the suntour thumbies and sweet XC hubs and went with a Shimano TZ 7 speed freewheel and a Nexave rapid rise derailleur. Game changer.
The freewheel: about the same price as a gin and tonic, hyperglide cog profiles, absolutely marvellous and fits with an axle washer each side.
The derailleur: Grant Petersen raves about these so thought I’d give it a go. I can see why; if you’re friction shifting, they’re a delight. After a couple of miles, your hand instinctively works out the ‘indexing’ and the rapid rise snicks up the cogs like mountain goat. Goofy looking, but it’s already growing on me, and with basket and bosco bars, it’s a pretty goofy set up anyway.
Hats off to Shimano for getting stuff right; will stockpile a few freewheels while they’re still available. Derailleurs are getting scarce (though XT and XTR rapid rise are still out there).

IMG_4724.jpeg

For scarcity of the older parts, consider visiting your local bicycle co-op. Most will stockpile old parts (good stuff like old Campy down to real general parts, frames, wheels and wheel sets) and sell to you for cents on the dollar or for a donation or coerce have you come in and strip or repair old bikes for a few hours. Besides, there is always a master mechanic (in their own mind or not) around to nerd out over parts and what not. A good time to be had irrespective!

Back