Front lights set up ??

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Not sure if there's a thread for light questions. What are people front light set up and what's too much.

I ride 90% off road with only the odd few miles on road between routes, I have a static 900 lumens Lezyne Deca Drive which lights the way very well certainly for the speed I go.

I also have a 700 lumens Lezyne Lite Drive that I use in flashing mode.

Is this too little or too much for general riding.

On-road I just use the 1 x Lezyne flashing jobby (not sure of lumens) on the bars.

Off-road, I use the same Lezyne light on the bars (albeit not flashing) plus a Petzl Actik headtorch on my...erm....head. It certainly isn't the floods of light which i've seen other mtb riders use. But its enough for me.

Thanks, I just wanted to get the balance between other users of the trailway, dog walkers, joggers, cyclists seeing me and me blinding them.

I use an older Lumicycle led flood on the bars and a new Exposure Axis on my helmet. Helmet light is more of a spot pattern and highlights the bits I’m looking at and penetrates a bit further than the flood. Both lamps usually set on the middle setting unless I know a quick section is coming up. Also have a back up set of small cheap commuter lights to get me to the trails.

If you ride alone then you can get away with less powerful lights. Issues can arise when being followed by riders using a small sun which casts a massive shadow that your lights can’t penetrate. Never borrow powerful lights either as it’ll be too difficult to go back.

Back