Friction shifters slipping.

GuyBoden

Dirt Disciple
My shimano 600 friction shifters have started to slip dramatically.

It's not just a matter of cleaning them with isopropyl and adjusting the locking D ring.

I think I need a new brass/copper washer or a plastic equivalent.

Any ideas? Many thanks.

Shimano 600 Friction Shifters.png

Last edited:
Need a better pic than that, but it's probably the plastic washers that are worn. Try some extra washers in there to help tighten them

Or switch to suntour power shifters?
If you disassembly the Suntour Power shifters, you will see a small piece of spring steel that engages with the teeth on the ratchet wheel.

This piece of spring steel loses it's tension and breaks over time, this part is unobtainable. I have two pairs in a box in my garage.

Also, they don't like braze on fittings.

The newer Dia Compe ratchet friction shifters are better, IMO.
38083.jpg

Although at first it seems to be illogical, friction levers need some grease to even out the friction across the whole range of lever movement, otherwise you have places where the lever slips. It also allows you to tighten the pressure screws sufficiently with your fingers rather than having to resort to tools.
Clean off all the manky grease and dirt then put a thin smear of grease on every mating surface, you don't need much.

I didn't believe the advice at first but after a season of gears jumping at awkward moments I was willing to try anything - after that I rarely suffered from slipped gears again.

Reactions: ORS
Although at first it seems to be illogical, friction levers need some grease to even out the friction across the whole range of lever movement, otherwise you have places where the lever slips. It also allows you to tighten the pressure screws sufficiently with your fingers rather than having to resort to tools.
Clean off all the manky grease and dirt then put a thin smear of grease on every mating surface, you don't need much.

I didn't believe the advice at first but after a season of gears jumping at awkward moments I was willing to try anything - after that I rarely suffered from slipped gears again.
Using grease on friction shifters doesn't sound logical, but I might give it a try.

Back