Frame sizing question!

Edav97

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

New to the forum and the retro bike scene. I’m looking at picking up a 531 mountain bike and have questions about frame sizing. I’m 5’9 and am unsure what frame to look for.

I’ve currently been looking at 19” frames but wonder if 18” might be a bit better?

Can anyone share some knowledge? Any other 5’9 riders on here? Would appreciate any advice!

So many variables, some people have longer legs short torso/arms while others are the other way around. Some prefer being low and stretched out others more upright. Frames are similar in that some are short height wise but long in the top tube while others are tall with shorter top tubes.

Personally I am 5.10 and prefer to ride 17/18" frames.

No definitive answer as you can see, so the best advise is to ideally try the bike and see how you feel on it. Do you have a bike currently? a good refeence base to start from maybe.

I'm 5'10' with 32" inseam and I agree with mk one, 17"-18" maximum. my brother has a 19" rockhopper and it feels way too big, mine is a 17".
I always think you can make a small bike big (stem and seat post) but you can't make a big bike small.

A lot could define what size you would be best with, but some more than others. What age is the frame, as up to a point, flat top tubes were the rage before the sloping top tube. I'd definitely think about a smaller size than 19 inch if I were you, then you need to consider how much top tube clearance you want along with the length of it.

A lot could define what size you would be best with, but some more than others. What age is the frame, as up to a point, flat top tubes were the rage before the sloping top tube. I'd definitely think about a smaller size than 19 inch if I were you, then you need to consider how much top tube clearance you want along with the length of it.
I agree with ishaw that it depends on the type/age of bike. Up to about 89? flat top tubes and slack angles I rode a 18/19". As geometry changed with sloping (and often longer) top tubes and steeper angles I preferred about a 16.5". I'm about 5ft 8". For touring and canal towpaths etc then top tube clearance won't matter so much. A shorter/longer stem can absorb a bit of stretch or cockpit cramp. A size each way you'll always still manage to ride it.

I agree with ishaw that it depends on the type/age of bike. Up to about 89? flat top tubes and slack angles I rode a 18/19". As geometry changed with sloping (and often longer) top tubes and steeper angles I preferred about a 16.5". I'm about 5ft 8". For touring and canal towpaths etc then top tube clearance won't matter so much. A shorter/longer stem can absorb a bit of stretch or cockpit cramp. A size each way you'll always still manage to ride it.
It’s a 80’s frame, Reynolds 531, likely late 80’s. The top tube is flat like you describe. With this in mind do you think 19” would suit?

Obviously my best option is to hop on the thing and give it a go, but it’s an eBay auction so can’t test it before buying it

Latest posts

Back