Frame Identification - early 90s Italian steel?

FiveAlpha

Retro Guru
I have acquired this frame - early 90s (130mm rear spacing) - came with 8 speed Campagnolo. Has chrome forks, Gipiemme drop outs with adjusters, front mech boss, internal cable routing and rather nice brake bridge.

It has been 'stickered up' as a Gemini, but the stickers are very poorly cut and applied over the top coat. I suspect it is something else.

It is Italian - has an Italian bottom bracket, and the long number on the BB starts with a 'W' which I am informed was the code for imports to Denmark (where this is). Bottom bracket also has 'GA 54' (54cm frame size) and a '1' stamped on the lug point.

Does anyone have any idea what this is? Thanks!

Attachments

• GemS2.JPG
    GemS2.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 768
  • IMG_1797.jpg
    IMG_1797.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 768
  • IMG_1798.jpg
    IMG_1798.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 766
  • IMG_1799.jpg
    IMG_1799.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 766
  • IMG_1800.jpg
    IMG_1800.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 768
Re:

Thanks - I've had a look - I don't see any frames by Galmozzi after the 70s - this frame must be very late 80s or 90s (130mm spacing).

The quest continues.

Re: Re:

FiveAlpha":baal1urd said:
Thanks - I've had a look - I don't see any frames by Galmozzi after the 70s - this frame must be very late 80s or 90s (130mm spacing).

The quest continues.

It looks a bit low-key to be a Galmozzi. They were a small in-house artisan brand.

But not unusual for bigger italian companies to make unbranded, unpainted frames for aftermarket retailers in other countries. They just imported bare naked frames and had them spray painted and re-stickered by aftermarket companies.

I mean Olmo made frames for minor Swiss companies like Fanciulli as well as smaller native italian boutique shops. Gitane made steel frames for the Decathlon sports retailer in France in the 80's to mid 90's (Decathlon is like the French equivalent to Great Britains Sports Direct).

Maybe Gemini or "Bikesport" on the top tube there is a Danish sports retailer, or a small independent shop? Thats probably your next line of enquiry ;)

Have you weighed it to make out what its made from? 2220g would be Columbus Aelle. 2100 would be Cromor or Thron. 1970g would be Columbus SL. I suspect with Gipiemme dropouts it'll be a mid-range tubeset like Cromor at least.

Re: Re:

Thanks for the input - I have looked into 'BikeSport' - there is only a shop in Holbæk, and none of the staff know anything about whether they sold steel frames (they are all younger than the frame!).

I haven't weighed the frame accurately, yet, as it has a portion of seatpost stuck in it. With 10cm f seartpost stub, it weighs 2160g. So, guessing around the 2000g point.

I will keep searching!

otherself":3iwuk10y said:
FiveAlpha":3iwuk10y said:

The quest continues.

It looks a bit low-key to be a Galmozzi. They were a small in-house artisan brand.

But not unusual for bigger italian companies to make unbranded, unpainted frames for aftermarket retailers in other countries. They just imported bare naked frames and had them spray painted and re-stickered by aftermarket companies.

I mean Olmo made frames for minor Swiss companies like Fanciulli as well as smaller native italian boutique shops. Gitane made steel frames for the Decathlon sports retailer in France in the 80's to mid 90's (Decathlon is like the French equivalent to Great Britains Sports Direct).

Maybe Gemini or "Bikesport" on the top tube there is a Danish sports retailer, or a small independent shop? Thats probably your next line of enquiry ;)

Have you weighed it to make out what its made from? 2220g would be Columbus Aelle. 2100 would be Cromor or Thron. 1970g would be Columbus SL. I suspect with Gipiemme dropouts it'll be a mid-range tubeset like Cromor at least.

Back