fork advice for a 2002 Klein Attitude Race

JAC RUSSELL

Retro Newbie
Good evening Ladies and Gents, my first post so be gentle!

I'm new to the retro bike scene but was reminiscing about my favourite bike in my late tens. Back in the mid 90's I had a Trek 930 in green and purple fade. I loved that bike but alas as with most things, you don't see the value once they start to become dated and less fashionable. I must have sold, or swapped it for something, I cant remember.
Anyway this got me looking for another one that I could build to a modern spec and use for a bit of fun during these weird times. During my search I stumbled across a few Klein mountain bikes and spent some time researching the brand. I was instantly drawn to the early models with the fluorescent fade paint. So, as you do, I started looking for one!! and blow me they fetch some serious money, I had no idea, completely naive. Sadly the cost of an early model is way beyond my budget so my plan is to buy an affordable version and built a resto mod or replica to my own spec's but using a later frame.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction regarding rigid forks for a 2002 Klein Attitude Race with V-brakes, and possibly where I can source them. This will be my first bike build so I'm completely in the dark when it comes to things like thread sizes, seat post dimentions and pretty much everything else really!!

Russ :D

Re:

Hmm not an easy one. 2002....so not the original box section forks, it would have to be the big section Klein forks in matching colours. The earlier low end Kleins were also supplied with chromes Spinner forks. Which looked weird. But that's how they were.

And I think the chance of you getting some of the original Klein forks is slightly more likely than the neighbour's cat being hit by a meteorite in the next ten minutes. So....the classic choice would be some RockShox or Marzocchi forks sprayed in the same colour as the frame....

but others may be along with a very different take.....

Hey Dude,

that's a forum like this for : Just search the net and ask you questions. You will find a lot of bike rebuilds here where you can learn and find some parts you like.

And you will find for almost any question and any problem someone here, who can help you :)

Re:

I'd say q 2002 bike would be well past the era of the proprietary klein forks and anyb1 1/8 ahead set forks with v mounts are your options. If it were me, I'd look out for some pace rc31 carbon forks or exotic carbons with v mounts. Just be aware that you'll want the right axle to crown size and steerer length for your frame, headset and stem. I'd imagine your frame was designed with front suspension in mind so you'll want an axle to crown somewhere around the 440mm mark (check though). It probably boils down to how you want it to look and ride, and colour to complement your frame.

kraeMit":11hhc04c said:
Hey Dude,

that's a forum like this for : Just search the net and ask you questions. You will find a lot of bike rebuilds here where you can learn and find some parts you like.

And you will find for almost any question and any problem someone here, who can help you :)

Superb, thank you. I've not been on a proper forum for years, it seemed Facebook killed the ones I was on so this is quite refreshing.

Re: Re:

ishaw":qscp77il said:
I'd say q 2002 bike would be well past the era of the proprietary klein forks and anyb1 1/8 ahead set forks with v mounts are your options. If it were me, I'd look out for some pace rc31 carbon forks or exotic carbons with v mounts. Just be aware that you'll want the right axle to crown size and steerer length for your frame, headset and stem. I'd imagine your frame was designed with front suspension in mind so you'll want an axle to crown somewhere around the 440mm mark (check though). It probably boils down to how you want it to look and ride, and colour to complement your frame.

Excellent, thank you. This is a great starting point for me. Ive found some V brake carbon forks but they're for a 700c wheel, ill take some measurements and see if they're close to what I have/need

Re:

Could anyone say whether these would be suitable, not worried about the disk brakes. The bike isn't going to be taken off road much, just my local tracks.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264992052438

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Re:

ishaw":3aeg43o0 said:
Not suitable at all. Disc only. Plus where it says v brake hole is bs. Know many v brakes that you attach via a single bolt to a fork crown?

If Going for carbon, you want something like these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162782626755

Or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133657577375

There are alloy versions of the exotics and plenty of other alloy or steel options out there.

I did see the RC31 and others like them, but to be honest I dont like the shape. I'm after a more smooth looking fork that looks something like the originals. Disks brake fitment im not too worried about, if I have to go discs then so be it.

I do really appreciate your advice though, giving me a real insight.

Back