FLITS bike

It mentions batavus as a possible brand, they made quality Dutch bikes. I know of them from the oma style of bike, they're nearly indestructible. The enclosed drivetrain usually means it's in pretty good condition in there, not exposed to the elements. The double top tube frame from the listing is very cool, I would probably pick something like that up to mess around with. I'd probably think about hacking off the rack, but I'm savage about those sorts of things.
What I am curious about is the extra hoops on the rim, are they for a generator? Looks like there's some sort of pickup or magnetic thing attached to the fork

Think that's for the lights. I've spoken to the owner and I'll have a closer look. It's definitely wee. It reminds me a lot of my first Raleigh! Ergo, it's 1970's/80's. I can ask the road section. Here's hoping the build quality is better...

I am writing to Panaracer now *hiccup* asking for 22" schwalbe table top magics.

Slap a flite anniversary edition on there, should survive an EMP.

Oh old as the vleermuis man? FLITS! Pow! biff! zap! 1950's 40's?

From some place on the internet :

"By 1917, Batavus had taken over a large bicycle factory. The 1930s proved difficult as much of Europe was in economic recession, but Batavus continued growing by diversifying to include carrier tricycles, motorcycles, and ice skates. World War II saw the temporary shutdown of the factory. Business resumed in 1945 when the war ended and demand for bicycles increased. The company invested in a new factory with modern assembly lines, which brought it to the forefront of bike manufacturing. In 1948, Batavus was one of the first to develop and manufacture its own moped.[2]"

Can see where they got the drop out idea from with the "...AND ICE SKATES" part there.

Last edited:
I checked the catalogues and the forum of the Dutch old bicycle association but nothing on the (Batavus) Blits. The extra hoops are reflective strips, which were mandatory since the 80s in the Netherlands.

Back