First Retro

Rob Crumpton

Retro Newbie
Good morning all.
Just dipping my toe into the water of retro biking, haven't been able to ride for a few years due to a chronic back condition. Always liked the look of steel framed retro bikes and my back is feeling not too bad so thought I'd try and find one to ease myself gently back onto the road. I'm an older guy at 63 and been sitting in an office for the last 12 months so it will definitely be very gently! :)
I picked this bike up yesterday, it rides very nicely, French I believe with 12 speed Suntour gearing, Wolber wheels and tyres. has a few different markings on the bars and stickers (iLO ?) just wondering if any one could give me an idea of year etc. The modern bottle holder is mine, I've put the metal one it came with in the garage. New tyres to come and seat.

Attachments

• Full Bike 1.jpeg
    Full Bike 1.jpeg
    790 KB · Views: 312
  • Full Bike 2.jpeg
    Full Bike 2.jpeg
    807.1 KB · Views: 312
Looks mid-late 1980s to me.

Very smart.

If you are easing yourself back in the gearing may be a bit ferocious - assumming it's 130mm pcd on that chainset then you might find a 38T chainring will make life bearable...looks like a 42T at present which will be torture for anyone.

Thanks, the gearing didn't feel to heavy although it was just a short flat ride yesterday. I'll see how it go's, I'd like to change the chain as well but not sure of size/length?

Any 7/8 speed chain should do. The best way to get the length right is to wrap it in the big-big combination and add two links (don't bother threading through the mechs, they make the job harder). Then use the tool to break the chain, re-thread through the mechs (I use small-small to make the job easier) and join the chain.

Back