First restoration project - I'm having fun!

Time to address the brake calipers. Unfortunately the front one is really busted, and the rear one is not very happy...

At the moment the bike has Tektro r559 calipers, do you suggest to replace with the same model?
I need long reach calipers, but other than that I am open to suggestions.

Re:

Yes, which is good for me as I will want to fit full mudguards :)

The bike is not what I would call a commuter, but it has eyelets front and rear! Shame it misses the hole in the chainstays bridge, but other than that it's fully equipped to take mudguards.

Re: Re:

Ugo51":2kysoj4m said:
Yes, which is good for me as I will want to fit full mudguards :)

The bike is not what I would call a commuter, but it has eyelets front and rear! Shame it misses the hole in the chainstays bridge, but other than that it's fully equipped to take mudguards.

Mh...I was replying to a message that now seems to have vanished :?

Ah!
You are right. I just looked them up and they are not the same as those that are on the bike. Sure, they are long drop, but not THAT long!

So, I first need to figure out what calipers they are, then buy a replacement

I got the chain and I started playing with the indexing of the rear derailleur.
The amount of fun I am having is decreasing by the minute.

The procedure seems simple enough. The limit screw was already set, but I re-setted it. While on the biggest front sprocket, I tightened it until the chain started rubbing on the inner cog, then loosed it until it got quiet again.

I then switched one gear lower and started tightening the cable by releasing the barrel adjuster. Couple of turns and the chain went up.
So far, so good.
The problem is that it won't switch to the upper cog, unless I tighten the cable a little bit more. But at that point I won't be able to switch down to the smallest cog.
So...I'm kinda stuck

Ugo51":292q7t1z said:
They are new. Not lubed though...do you reckon they don't slide well enough?

Could be cables, could also be a worn rear mech, but I am assuming it might be a new mech?

Back